Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can I fix it or should I replace?

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by mr_messy, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Had a stack the other day and bike went down High St on its side.
    It's a ZX2R

There was a little hole created from the side engine cover.
    At first I thought it would need to be replaced.
    But when I had a better look, the oil was just coming from a little hole bout the size of maybe less than millimeter.

Would it be possible to fix this with just a weld?
    Tried to upload a pic but dun seem to work.
    I think the case is made of alloy of some sort.
  2. It might work.
    U should be able to pick up an engine cover from the wreckers for quite cheap, so welding might not be worth it.
  3. It would cost around $50 to have it welded and you would need to get somebody that welds bike parts to do it as most people would bugger it. T Rex Racing in Heidelberg could do it but it would be easier to just buy one from the wreckers.
  4. Why would you need someone who does bike parts? It's not a strength or safety issue, it only needs to be sealed properly which any welder worth his qualifications should be able to do.
  5. The alloy used to make bike bits is of varying quality especialy for things like side case covers. It is also very thin. I know a T Rex he has alot of experiance with such things and i have seen him repair things that a cylinder head shop buggered up (who do great work with car parts). Alot of engine cases covers are made from magnesium which is another thing to keep in mind.
  6. Now that would be funny. someone welding magnesium.
    Should just be bog-standard aluminium, shouldn't ot?
  7. There are some epoxy resins that they use to seal/repair car engine blocks :eek: the stuff sets harder than steel.

If you found out where to get some, you could bog it with that, then grind it back to a finish you're ok with.
  8. Step 1 Remove cover and degrease / file back affected area

Step 2 get a bit of alloy and file it and get the fillings together in a pressure pack lid

Step 3 Apply masking tape to the back of the affected area

Step 4 Mix up araldite 24 hour epoxy (12 bucks from Coles Etc) and mix in the alloy fillings at a dose rate of 25 percent. Makes it good and stiff and plenty of working time

Step 5 Apply mix to affected area and shape with a piece of plastic cut from a coke bottle

Step 6 allow to harden and then file / sand back to shape

Step 7 give it a quick blast of semi gloss black paint from bunnings

Costs 12 Bucks for glue 2.5 Bucks for a can of paint and a file say 3.0 bucks and a piece of alloy to file get some from the road side collection or an old busted lever from you tool box

and a saturday arvo start and sunday morn finish

Good Luck
  9. +1 to that Brucey.

When it comes to small cracks, holes etc. in non-structural casings, Araldite is your friend.
  10. I can sell him some :) It's a putty like material, you knead it together and yeah, it sets as hard as steel
  11. bitumen!1!!?

ok :(
  12. quicksteel
  13. [​IMG]

hope this works and gives you an idea.
    I'm trying to avoid taking the cover off because of the work required as well as the space. Right now I'd have to take it from St Kilda to my place which is over 30Km away. Or walk it 8km to the closest bikeshop in the city.
    Can't really afford much either as I've bought another bike and gear n stuff.
  14. quick and easy , liquid steel

its just a putty

I would get some carb/brake clean oir contact cleaner and spray the area first to get rid of any oil to help it stick

cheap and easy , once it sets you will prob need a dremel to smooth it out as once it sets its rock hard so make it as smooth as possible when you apply it
  15. you wont get any thinner than this....someone challenged me to take the "coke can challenge" :grin: ....
  16. Do I have to worry about unhardened bits coming off and circulating inside the engine?
  17. In theory yes.

However, if you're careful and don't poke gallons of the stuff through the hole, it's unlikely to be a problem.

The small quantities involved shouldn't be enough to restrict the strainer on the end of the oil pickup pipe (if the bike's got one).

The very worst that is likely to happen is that a small piece could pass (once) through the oil pump (not great but probably not terminal either) and get caught in the oil filter. It cannot circulate through the engine under pressure.

Most likely scenario, if anything breaks off, is that it'll rattle around in the bottom of the sump for a while before being discharged during an oil change.

Best bet is to keep an eye on what you're doing and monitor how much goo you're using.
  18. as above , in theory yes

but that stuff rolls like chewing gum

wedge in just enough and all should be good

if really worried then remove the cover, get yourself some permatex aviation cement for sticking the cover back on or make yourself a new gasket with a sheet of gasket paper as will prob be hard trying to get the right gasket
  19. What product is it? Have you got a link with info on this product?
    Am I able to buy this from any hardware store? Or If I wanted to get it from you do I have to ride to where ever you live.
    Going to wheel it to work and take a shot at it tommorrow.