Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Can I be booked without being issued an infringement notice?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by VCM, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jumped in the car to get supplies at the shopping centre around the corner .. Yep No seat belt :roll:
    Just as I turned into the shopping centre I am stopped by a Police Cyclist in the car park. He checked my licence, asked the usual questions etc..
    After asking him to give a guy a break, he apoligised stating as much as he didn't like it, it was his job today to stand here and catch anyone entering the shopping centre unrestrained.
    The wierd thing is that he did not fill out an infringement notice. He just jotted down details on a standard writing pad, and sent me on my way.
    ???? Apprentice in training?

MOD: ffs vinnie you know the rules for posting in politics, that's 2 of yours I've had to reluctantly lock

2. I'm pretty sure you can expect something in the mail.

He takes your details and moves you on quickly so he can catch the next person.

You don't want to waste time filling out the infringement notice when there is more money to be made.

3. ive been with a highway patrol officer in his car (nothing dodgy, he was giving me a lift after i had a mishap in my car on the freeway) and while we killed some time waiting for the tow-truck to arrive, he turned on his vehicle radar, then got out a booklet of infringement notices and started writing them out based on the info he had in a notepad. he then proceeded to complain about the paperwork involved and how he just wanted to get back to 'real policing' (like catching wife-beaters, etc) heh.

top bloke.

but yeah, if it was a 'real' cop and not just an impersonator, then you'll get something.

4. Unless he somehow loses the notepad, you will get a ticket. Same procedure when I got one for a different , but minor infringement last month and it showed up three weeks later.
    I thought it was strange, too. Maybe something to do with their IT system being in meltdown?

5. Not at all. they dont have to book you "on the spot". they have your details, they can send it in the mail.

6. maybe he was just trying to get your details you spunk you.

note to self....try this.

7. Sorry Vinnie but it's coming in the mail.
    The prosess is very common these days and it allows plod to write them up without a mistake back at the cop shop or donut joint.

8. +1

When I got busted on the Potato Run, he took down my details to not
    hold me up any longer than necessary.

TIN arrived few days later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.