Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Camshaft holder

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by rubenastley, Oct 27, 2012.

1. Hey guys, i was removing the cam shaft holder bolts and just realized that i may have stuffed something up

I looked at the camshaft diagram in reverse so i started undoing the bolts (quarter turn) at 5,6,7,8 etc instead of 1,2,3,4? i have done few rounds already, have i bent the plate starting in the wrong side?

exactly how fragile is the camshaft? i'm am very paranoid of snapping a cam shaft or bending the holder plate

Exactly how easy is it to bend the plate? will a turn or two out of order ruin it?

cheers for advice

2. You are unlikey to have caused any harm if you are undoing them a small amout at a time and in a staggered pattern. Just get them all the same amount undone and continue with the correct stagger pattern.
  3. You'll be fine.
    Similar setups at work with multi valve car heads.
    When re-installing, just spin the bolts evenly, finger tight at first.
    Then I usually cross tighten them 1/2 turn at a time until they're all snugged down nicely! :)
  4. Hey guys, I attempted to tighten the camshaft holder bolts back up. I followed the haynes manual and street masters suggestion in hand tightening and lubing it with oil. However when I tightened them it felt like some of the bolts had different resistance and started torquing them down at different starting levels. Some bolts hit the torque setting before others. What's the chances I have bent the camshaft? Will it be obvious on startup? What if remove them and do it again properly?
  5. They feel that way because some of the cam lobes are holding valves open, so they are stiff to tighten, other parts will be on the base circle of the cam and will go down easier. Just be careful you don't fill the bolts holes with oil, as that too can cause hard tightening and could actually cause damage if you tighten down into hydraulic lock.
  6. its bent as

o hang on , im just joking lol.
    mate mechanics do that shit in
    there own staggered order .
    its cool.
    threads need a clean once you get em out.
    sounds like a project whata doing mate