Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Camping Trip Diet

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by DemstarAus, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Hello All,

What is your experience with travelling and eating when you go for long camping adventures. I've read about how people just say "eat at servos" but my partner and I are both vegetarian. Two days in and nothing but magnum egos and salt & vinegar chips would not cut it. It's also quite expensive to buy lots of packaged food like that.

I was thinking about easy food to transport such as canned food, trail mix, dried fruit & nuts, and vegetables that keep well (potatoes, onions, anything root-like). I'm looking at getting my hands on some kind of portable camp stove and would appreciate any recommendations in that department.

Early trips will be to more developed places, like towns, that have motels and cafes and caravan parks where we would stay indoors and sleep on beds, and eat food that people bring us on plates in exchange for sitting down with money, but I'm talking later on down the track.

What sort of logistical experiences and concerns have you had and subsequently quelled?

2. #2 middo, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Not sure about eating vegetarian, but canned chunky soups can be eaten cold as they are already cooked in the can. They can also be heated easily in a trangia or similar cooker. Baked beans are also a popular camping meal, as they are easy. I would make sure you don't bring too much, as generally you will pass through a town sooner or later and be able to resupply.

Edit: Fresh fruit is best eaten when bought. Transporting it ca be problematic (and messy).

Rice can be bought in pre-cooked packs as well, that just need heating, although if you have a cooker it is easy to make anyway.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Are you a fish eating vegetarian? Meal of tuna tin plus small tin of beans is easy and high in protein...
  4. Dunno about vegetarian meals, but Just by the by If you want to know about camping stoves, this bloke REALLY knows his shit:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Hahaha you should see the same guy doing a clip on puncture repair and his use of a tomcat mini compressor lmfao a classic
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. No fish for us.
    I was thinking along the lines of 2 minute noodles, baked beans, simple stuff for that for the 2 or so meals away from towns. Obviously on a motorbike we are not going to be going great lengths without stopping into a service station, so in most towns you can generally find a bakery or similar that does salad rolls or basic savoury stuff. Likely 60% of the time we can find something vegetarian at a bakery.

Also considereing we are both on road bikes, we will not exactly be miles away from a town when we stop for the night.
  7. #7 chillibutton, Mar 3, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Experiment with a whole lot of energy bars, find some that are palatable and relatively easy available. I carry these whenever biking or mountain biking, very useful when you're tired.

Also some electrolyte powder to add to normal water when it's very hot.
  8. You can get light weight gas cookers that are pretty portable and convenient, but they will not work at altitude or in extreme cold. Not the box style units as there has been a major recall over the last year.
    Trangia's or other metho based cookers are pretty good, but you need to carry metholated spirits and they aren't very efficient.
    For food, anything partially cooked already is good. Try Uncle Bens rice meals or Continental pastas. Much more protein and carbs than 2 minute noodles. If you take vegetables that don't need to be refrigerated or have long cooking times then it's not too bad. Just carry them in a lunch box or ice cream container so that they don't get squashed everywhere.
    FYI, I've done stir-fries before on trangia's.

Talk to hiking / camping stores to see the pro's & cons of different types of cookers and gear.
    Remember, none of these can be used on total fire ban days unless you are actually near buildings.
  9. Excellent stuff and he drinks International roast top bloke :)
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Baked Beans and canned peaches/pears etc for after. Baked beans can be heated in the cans.

This is of course if you're not one of those vegetarians that eat bacon. :p
  11. I don't go motorbike camping much nowadays but even when we go with the car we like to keep it compact, so we use one of these:

The unit itself is pocket-sized when packed and the cartridges are also reasonably compact. Throw in a small deep-walled frying pan or a heavy-base saucepan and you can do quite a wide range of basic cookery.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Depends on how long you plan to be away from civilisation, where your going.

I try to eat one decent meal a day, usually lunchtime, when passing through a town, pub grub or fresh food.
    Other than that, I bag a breakfast size portion of rolled oats & sultana's, in a sandwich sized snap-lock bag, repeat this for as many breakfast you plan to have. The beauty of the snap-lock bag, is just add the liquid (Milk or water) let it absorb, whilst packing up the campsite, then eat it, no need for a bowl or any heating. (Carry a 'spork' in a easy to access spot)

Vegetarian diet, I'm not sure about; however, I have found canned food is okay for a day or so, but once you carry a few days worth, it can add extra weight, bulky to pack, then you have to carry the rubbish out & if you don't want a mess, you'll need to burn the cans out.

Plenty of package food in satchels, I don't generally carry 'dehydrated' food, as you must then carry a lot more water, once again bulk & extra weight.
    I have found a good range of snack foods to be found in the 'baby food' section of Woollies/Coles.

Food & Cooking gear will take up a lot more space than you think, I dedicate one pannier to it. Regarding water, I'll carry 8 litres, and top up my supply as I go.
    • Like Like x 1

13. Yep. 8 litres is the minimum we take too. No one in Australia should be caught in the middle of no where without water. It is a no brainer in my mind.
  14. Depends on how strict your diet is, cup a soups are good to warm you up, also as mentioned baked beans, spaghetti, easy mac, even freeze dried camping meals - not sure on veggie options though, Biker Bits have folding camping stoves with adapters for disposable gas cylinders - tip here - put the cylinder in you sleeping bag with you for 15 mins on cold mornings and they work fine,
  15. One of those small square propane gas stoves, It fits in the bag and you can carry a couple of spare bottles of gas, I carry one,
    Yes its the one they recalled, But if its got gas leaking out of it, You dont light it simple,
    Its usually because the bottle is not fitted correctly, That it will leak, I have never had trouble with mine,
    A small saucepan and a small frying pan,
    I also carry a 1 litre thermos with Milk in it, I need my coffee, Coles and woolies both have small plastic containers with proper lids and closers on them, Pretty cheap,
    Carry your sugar and coffee in them, Weet bix or corn flakes in a small container as well, The milk is in the thermos, Couple of Eggs, Butter in a plastic container, one you can seal tightly and a few slices of bread,
    Stop at a supermarket and buy simple things for your evening meal, before you get to your camp site,
    Lunch is where ever, what ever you want to eat, Pub Restuarant,Bakery, Etc,
    The main idea is to keep it simple, Carry enough for one day only, Thats usually breakfast, The rest is on the go,
    I dont carry water as there are plenty of freshwater creeks and rivers in Vic which I use,
    A two litre plastic milk container washed out and filled with water if you are near creeks that you cant use the water from,
    Garages you can get the fresh tap water from,
    A two man tent and two sleeping bags, One bag is the mattress, make sure you get -5 C Sleeping bags, It gets cold in the high country even in summer,
    Your clothes and jacket are the pillow,
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. No that's called a pescatarian. So many people confuse it and I constantly have to send meals back with shrimp in them.
    I've done whole weeks on a kayak with food and water for a week, so I imagine I could get away with a similar system. The only thing I wouldn't take would be water, or not too much water. We each had to take our own full kit with clothes, tent, tools, sleeping bag etc. (2 peoples' worth of kit & food per 2 person kayak).
    • Like Like x 1
  17. I've done quite a bit of hiking and self contained bicycle touring of up to a month away. I also do this sort of thing on a motor bike. I've always managed on 6 litres of water where I've been able to top it up daily when bicycle touring.- I've never done this in the heat of the summer.

Porridge for breakfast, lots of nuts and dried fruit. I use dried "instant meals" available at any mainstream supermarket, carry onions garlic, carrots and try to never carry more food than for 4 days. The general philosophy with instant meals is that they can form the basis for a meal. They can be improved however you want by adding things to them - let your imagination be your guide. Dried mushrooms, tomatoes, nuts and seeds are good to have along. Don't go stupid with containers for herbs and spices but there is probably one thing you just don't like to be without. Let it go at that. For me, it is tomato kasoundi - a spice paste.

You go through towns, and occasionally find somewhere you want or need to stop for a day or two. The smaller "half cans" of chick peas or 4 bean mix are OK to have a couple of. I carry rice, and coffee, and premium milk powder. I try to buy things in bags and ditch any boxes of stuff that comes in a bag in a box (like the instant mac&cheese - label the bags, and put all the bags in a small canvas bag.) This is flexible and more easily conforms to the shape of the pack or pannier. Cheese is a problem. If it warms up it becomes "greasy" but will actually keep for a couple of days. I've got more faith in Haloumi with its salt content and low fat. A few zip lock bags are useful. I try not to use containers as they take up too much room, have weight and you can do nothing about their shape in packing them. Keep it small and light and there will even be room for a 2 litre goon bag. Yeah it's a luxury, but so is my little wooden pepper grinder, which I will never be without.

I'll cook twice or even three times a day when bicycle touring. The Trangia is a weird shape for packing, but you can fit a lot into it. They use a lot of metho if you are not careful. Hexane stoves (shellite) are faster, hotter smaller, and per volume, the fuel goes further. I carry two bottles of fuel. they will not leak. I only buy Shellite (in any decent supermarket) when I need it and fill the bottles and toss the supermarket container. I like this kind of stove because, though it doesn't come with integrated cookware, like the Trangia, it is made of small units which can be packed separately and provides more options as to where I can easily keep the fuel away from other things like the food, tent, AND if I carry the spare jet, I would be able to use any petrochemical (ULP, Diesel, Kero) as fuel in a pinch. I've never had to, but it would be a handy bottom line if out of fuel for cooking when adventure touring on the bike. Not all hexane stoves can do this. Shellite is still the best fuel, as the other ones tend to blacken cookware. I have a number of small cotton string bags, easily made from an upper shirt sleeve, or part of a trouser leg to keep things in that you don't want to make contact with other things, like a pan with a carbon coating.

a 600 -750 mm square of plain awning canvas goes with me to provide a "clean space" for meal preparation on the ground where there is no furniture. Given half a chance I will always produce my meals on a picnic table, but ants can be a problem in heavily used places. It is also useful in the vestibule of the tent when the weather is crook. It has grommets in the corners so can be tied or pegged if it is windy or if I want to tie it over something for protection. or even as an improvised wind break.

There are towns. You can shop every day on a motorbike unless you are adventuring. Shopping on towns on a motorbike when travelling slows you down, and presents a security risk.

This should be easy for you, DemstarAus. You have some background. What's different about motorcycle touring is that there is usually frequent opportunity to top up things, buy what you want on the day. I tend to overlook this and occasionally carry stuff around for no good reason, having just put the usual kit on the motorbike, without thinking about it much. The opportunity to shop as you go does mean that you don't have to take much.
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Cheers. I forgot to mention beer. High in carbs and great for pain relief, but a bugger to lug around. So i@opt for a small bottle of spirits instead... ;)
  19. As a Vegan my experience is hungry in general, did you know smiths salt and vinegar chips have milk in them.. wtf?
    On long trips I take light high carb dry snacks and for protein nuts and baked beans.
  20. Al these recommendations for baked beans means you won't need any butane gas burners :confused:
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1