Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cameras to no longer be used as ‘cash-cow’ in Britain

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by twistngo, Jun 19, 2010.

1. http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/N...810-cameras-no-longer-to-be-used-as-cash-cow/

Cameras to no longer be used as ‘cash-cow’

New Transport Minister Mike Penning has told MPs that the government will stop handing millions of pounds in grants to local authorities for new speed cameras.

The number of speed cameras has trebled over the last 10 years, and raise around £110million a year.

However Mr. Penning has warned the local authorities to use other effective means of road safety measures.

Local authorities will still be able to install new cameras; however the funding will have to come from council tax.

Mr. Penning said, “'The public must be confident speed cameras are there for road safety, not as a cash cow. Under this Government it will not be so.

“'If local authorities want new cameras they are free to do so using their own resources, but we strongly encourage them to use other methods of effective safety measures.”

But Ellen Booth, from safety campaign group Brake, told the Daily Mail, “'It is terrifying that Government ministers responsible for road safety are so set against speed cameras that have been proven to save lives.

“It is very disappointing to hear them talk like this and we are going to do our best to change their minds.”

no hope for such enlightment here

2. Yes, terrifying. That's the word that came to my mind as well.

3. Terrifying for what reason(s)? Simply because a minister is stating to use other effective safety measures and/or things like the perception of cameras are cash cows because the way councils, governments have installed them (at locations where they weren't 'black spots' and the like. i.e http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/04/29/2885330.htm

I'm all for cameras being used, when as the guy says, effective safety measure, not 'just' a cash cow. Which of course, can't be proved or disproved easily

*fixed*

4. It's terrifying because they now have to use their own brains and invent new revenue streams that will come back and bite them on their arse.

5. "Speed was the primary reason for nearly 15 per cent of all serious road casualties in Tasmania in 2009."
    at least they are not playing the 70% line of vic & nsw.

Undii, can you fix the link in your post?

6.  Top
  7.  Top
  8. Ellen Booth is a clueless nonce.

9. Terrifying for what reason(s)? Simply because a minister is stating to use other effective safety measures and/or things like the perception of cameras are cash cows because the way councils, governments have installed them (at locations where they weren't 'black spots' and the like. i.e http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...29/2885330.htm

^^ There is no l in that post.

*Does jedi mind trick on the post I did to say 'just to say I fixed it', I wasn't actually meaning that actual post was the *fixed* link, it was the original post which I haven't edited since sometime this morning. I now have edited the post saying the original was fixed :p God, some people just can't read my mind sometimes and expect my pain infused mind to be _totally_ working on mornings which is just hardly ever the case :nopity:

10. pssst
    I fixed your post :p

11. if they were really trying to get rid of the revenue raising impression, they would remove the camera's that are at locations with no black spot history.

NSW are trying the same trick in saying its not revenue raising, we are even going to document all the roads that mobile cameras can be used. :jerk:

12. Could you tell me how you fixed it? It's the same link as it was before (.htm page on abc), I can't see anything different.

13. you still had html at the end

14. I guess you mean the 'text link', the actual link was working (hence, had .htm) as I tested it a couple times, once when I initially fixed it and again when doing the other post just to make sure it was working, which it was. Didn't bother with the text link (I think) as the actual link was working

*edit*

Or else my brain really isn't working today (glad I didn't head out on the bike at all if that's the case!) and if so, I apologise! :) Just had a thought about this over dinner and now I'm confusing myself if I did even see if the link is working. No, it's got NOTHING to do with my daily dose of pain meds or pain ;)