Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Camel packs

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by 87crisis, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Anyone tried any cheap eBay camel packs ect ? Thoughts ? Seen the ones at the shops and I refuse to cough up a few hundred for a glorified drink bottle

2. I got one of eBay for about $20, it's not the same quality as my $200 one that it replaced but it's works fine. Has lasted 6 months with once a fortnight use, no problems yet.
  3. They are very useful except when bugs get caught in the mouthpiece and then you take a nice long suck!
    Ps, there is a sub forum for ,other, items in the Product reviews section mate. You may get more responses there.

4. I've got one of the Camelbak branded ones, had a cheap one which had a nasty plastic taste to it and wasn't really comfortable. I got mine locally, cheaply, but try www.wiggle.co.uk if you don't find a "no namer" that works for you.
  5. you'll find they will be more prone to going mouldy as the dearer bladders have some sort of anti-bacterial property to there plastic. A cheaper brand I've found to be as good as 'camel back' is a brand called 'source', should find them at your local camping & disposal's store.
  6. The lifetime warranty is what sealed the deal for me, I have had $20 cheapies before, they don't last.

My Camelbak sprang a leak about 1 year into ownership, I had a new bladder, free of charge within 2 days.

You can pick up the 2 litre version for around $70, very little storage, but mine fits in my backpack anyway.

Edit: I use mine 4 days a week commuting by bicycle & every time I go for a ride on the motorbike longer than an hour, it's definitely paid for itself by now.
  7. I got mine from Katmandooo on special and love it, key for me was, get one with a full removable bladder for cleaning and replacement purposes...

bought a cheap one and while served a purpose not being able to remove the bladder when the seal started to leak made it redudenet and now is just hangs on the wall

I made sure I got the removable bladder and a bag big enough for sunnies n shorts for when I got on a decent ride... recommended and saves a lot of money on drinks during rides... I have found mine stays cold for most of the day too which is nice...
  8. And the Camelback branded ones are insulated, keeps your water cooler for longer.

I only use water in mine, anything else will cause mould to grow unless you clean it right out after every ride.

I've had a few cheaper ones in my time, and as mine get a rather hard life (chookchasing) the camelbacks are the way to go.
  9. I jst found this.. Camelback 3 ltr Mule packs for only $80.
    Thats half price!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Been using a CamelBack for several years now, clean after use. Never had a problem,where as the $20 cheapie I first had developed a leak after third use, on a two day ride.
    You get what you pay for!
  11. The jacket I have (RJAYS) has a pocket in the back for a water bladder.

I have 2 water bladders. What I do the night before is fill one up and freeze it, the other gets half filled and frozen. Then in the morning the half filled one gets topped up with water from the tap, the full frozen one goes in the Ventura bag.

Generally by the time I've emptied the first bladder, the second has thawed out, but still cold.
  12. A tip on bladders, always store them in the fridge or freezer when not in use, as it will stop bacterial growth. For summer, freeze about 300ml of water in it, then when you fill it the water is nice and cold. Also never fill it with anything but water, sugar encourages bacterial growth
  13. Took a 2 litre one thru india.

Wouldnt be without it
    No dramas for me buying branded gear.