Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cam chain tensioner replacement.

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by al77, Mar 15, 2006.

1. The Cam chain tensioner on my gsf250v has given up.

I'm considering changing it myself. I've never done it before, but want to start learning to work on my own bike.

Having had a look at the service manuals, it seems like a simple bolt off bolt on affair, after removing the fuel tank. Is that really all there is to it?

any help would be great.

2. Just follow the instructions, and you will be right! Pay attention to the procedure to setting the correct chain tension and don't rotate the engine when the tensioner is out.

Regards, Andrew.
  3. I''m going to get the OEM automatic chain tensioner, do i still need to set the chain tension on these? Theres nothing in the service manaul that talks about setting the tension it just says replace?
  4. The factory one should set itself. You may have to put the flange mount on first then the guts in second, otherwise you will overtension it.
  5. the auto ones i've seen have a stopper that keeps the spring contained while you install it - don't remove it before getting it in!

if you do it accidentally, not too hard to fix though. Winding the engine backwards a quarter turn can also have the auto tensioner take u pa lot of slack very quickly.
  6. Al,

You may have to remove the engine inspection holes to determine to to right position to crank the motor over to to prevent the cams spinning out of time when you remove the old tensioner.

It is an easy job with a good manual though, and if you have any doubt's, you can easily remove the rocker cover to check that the cams remain in correct timing when you remover the old tensioner. Replace with new tensioner, and turn the provided key to release the spring after installation.
  7. the tensioner is just to stop the unloaded side of the chain slapping around, being noisy and wearing out the guides. If the chain will skip sprocket teeth even with the tensioner out, you have a really worn chain that needs replacing or you ran the thing so long without one the guides are a mush of bits in the bottom of the crankcase.
  8. thanks all for the advice. I'll give it a crack, hope for the best and see what happens.