Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Call Waiting and your Internet connection

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by pvda, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Sent this around a few friends about 2 years ago and just stumbled upon it again so thought I'd share it with you lot.

Call Waiting^, the service that lets you know if somebody is calling when you're already on the phone, has long been a standard feature from Telstra.

To turn Call Waiting on you can dial *43# on your telephone handset.

From this month (April 2003), Call Waiting will be activated automatically for most new connections^. The Call Waiting feature can sometimes affect dial-up Internet connections. The soft 'pips' (beeps) generated to indicate you have a call waiting may interfere with your modem.

If you have Call Waiting enabled, and find that it occasionally interferes with your online activities, you have two simple choices:

Option 1. Call Waiting Suppression

You can have all the benefits of Call Waiting when not on the Internet, without having to remember to turn Call Waiting off and on before you connect. Just follow these two easy steps:

* Ensure Call Waiting is turned on by lifting the handset and dialling *43#.
    * Prefix the Internet access number in your modem setting with *44. For example, if the ISP is BigPond, change the phone number from 0198 308 888 to *44 0198 308 888.

For more information about Call Waiting Suppression, please refer to http://www.telstra.com.au/info/callwaitsuppress/.

Option 2. Turn off Call Waiting

Simply lift the handset and dial #43# to deactivate Call Waiting. You can reactivate it by dialling *43#.

^ Available on tone phones in most areas. HomeLineā„¢ Net customers must subscribe to Call Waiting and additional monthly rental charges will apply. Call Waiting will not be turned on automatically if Faxstream-Duet and Fax Multiple Number and Line Hunt services are connected.
  2. Hi

I actually work doing connections for the aforementioned telco. We're required to tell every customer when we connect them or move their service that call waiting will be switched on, explain how to turn it off and if they're on dial-up how to suppress it (the *44 prefix to the megapop number).

One day when you have nothing better to do have a read through the Telstra section of the white pages... there's actually some good info in there!
  3. It's simply another way of making money for the money hungry leeches that is known as Smelstra.
  4. Hi

You don't need to, because ADSL isn't affected by call waiting. On a dialup connection the modem sees the call waiting blips as a disconnect signal... on ADSL you're using a completely different part of the spectrum so it has no effect anyway.

If you are using call waiting and you hear the blips press Recall/Flash then 2 to get to the second call, Recall/Flash and 1 gets you back to the first call, and if you want to kill the blips press Recall/Flash and 0 and the second caller will get an engaged tone!
  5. Hi Vic

Ummm... when you switch to the second caller a connection is made, therefore the second caller is charged for their call. I'm not going to get into an argument over any of this because by admitting I'm employed to do connections I'm already in breach of my AWA. I just wanted to be helpful and respond to a post. All good? ;-)
  6. Hi again Marty

a.) It shouldn't, so call BigPond tech support on 133933 and ask them to check it out. I'm assuming you have the filter/splitter on the socket your ADSL modem is plugged into, or you have a central filter? The filter is crucial.

b.) Just do the #43# thing and it won't bother you any more.
  7. Do you have line filters on each telephone in the house?
  8. Every item attached to the phone line has to have a correct filter attached (either the phone filter or an ADSL one) to prevent a normal phone call or the ADSL link from interfering with each other.

To get slightly technical your normal phone works between 300Hz & 3kHz while you ADSL link runs from just above 3kHz to around 1.5MHz (I think). They both share the same cable pair from the exchange to your house so they need the filters to "keep them apart".

Here endeth ADSL 101.
  9. Great. Hopefully you'll be able to clear somethign up for me? If I take the phone line between my ADSL modem and the wall socket (which has an inline filter fitted), and wrap said phone line a circle of approximately 40cm in diameter a few times, will that cause my internet to work faster? The premise being that the data being sent through the phone line circles will increase with speed due to centrifugal force and will thus be projected out to the internet (and into my ADSL) modem at a faster pace than if my phone line was just straight and not circles. I have especially got a 2 metre long phone line extension cable between my modem and teh wall socket just so I can put the line in 40cm circles to make it go faster.
  10. All that will happen is the little electrons will get dizzy and spin around inside your computer.

Mind you I started to read your question and was taking it seriously for at least 10 seconds.

Hey Martyh, I was trying to keep it as simple as possible but I didn't realise it is was as high as 25k though so you learn something every day.

I started in exchange install so I understand things telephone!
  11. sure will, but make sure theres no kinks or twists in the cable or you'll end up making it slower. telstra spend millions each year straightening kinks in their networks, in fact most outages are due to that. also, for better performance, use the same length cable but do 30-35cm circles, the smaller circles mean less momentum but an overall higher speed.
  12. Absolutely all good.

This is the sole reason why telstra are fitting lines with call waiting so the second caller is charged for the call.

I don't answer call waiting..................

because I can't remember how to do it on the B&O phone ;)
  13. Hi Marty

Had an interesting convo with an old guy a few weeks ago when I was doing his move. He was a very retired linie, telling me about the old days when termites used to eat the lead shielding in winter and the linies would spend hours digging trying to find the faulted section, and how on cold winter days they'd fight to go out to the exchange to do jumpering because the relays generated so much heat it kept the whole building warm! I asked him if it was loud in there with all that clicking and he said "WHAT?" :) Cool guy!
  14. Well no... but you'll be making a very spirited attempt a inducing a magnet, made from telephone cabling :roll:

Or... you could place it next to another coil of wires and you got yourself a homemade transformer leeching power from the telephone company :). Nevermind the signal loss though.
  15. Ah the clatter of the Step by Step final selector or buzz of the Uniselector.

The chattering of the crossbar relays.

The boring silence of the Ericsson AXE & Alcatel System 12 equipment.

I started with the big T in 1983 as an Apprentice Tech and hell yeah the old gear was noisy and probably explains my hearing, then again being a motorsport marshal and hanging around race cars pre noise limits wouldn't have anything to do with it :roll: