Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Call to improve crossing lights

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by cruisingal, Jun 26, 2006.

1. Having all the lights on red for an extra second or so makes a hell of a lot of sense. It would resolve a lot of problems with intersections if there was a second or so longer where the lights were red in all directions.
  2. Very sorry to read about this terrible accident. :cry:
    I don't think I agree that shortening the green time is the answer here. Looking at the truck drivers statement, he says he had already entered the intersection on the green. It seems that Vicroads is hinting that some trucks my be rushing to get through before striking another red. In that case a longer green arrow may help. There's a hell of a lot of turn arrows around town that only last a second or two, and I think they're REALLY dangerous.
    But yes, a longer change-over period would probably have helped in the case of this accident.
  3. I agree.

I think that increasing the red time in all directions (ie everyone has a red) for a couple of seconds would help. In areas (there are a few in Perth that come to mind) where trucks turning across traffic is a problem, this could be a good idea.
  4. Stop it Tony, we cant actually agree on something.

Longer time from Red to Green is a good idea for interesections which have difficult right turns (CBD hook turns for one).
  5. In California the lights turn green in the other direction the instant that the lights for you go red.

You really don't want to go running red lights in the USA.

Somewhat surprisingly to some, the intersection accident rate is no higher there. Why? Because people learn that red means stop. Unlike here where people think that red means stop in 4 second's time.

Food for thought?
  6. [quote="pvdaCBD hook turns for one[/i]).[/quote]

I avoid them like the plague. You're totally at the mercy of the traffic behind you obeying the red, the traffic in front of you doing the same, and the intersecting traffic not t-boning you as they jump the red...

I've only read a bit of this "accident". But did the driver explain why he turned in front of the bike? Regardless of the traffic signals, you still have to give way to traffic where required.
  7. longer red lights for everyone is much safer - that way if you're stopped at a red light heading north south, and someone guns it through an orange/red light going east west, you have to sit & wait longer before your light turns green & have more of a chance of seeing the wanker who's breaking the law.
  8. I think we're already well aware of the fact that Australian drivers (and riders) are nowhere near the calibre of our overseas counterparts. We only have to look at our draconian traffic laws to understand our shortcomings. :roll:

Look both ways people. I don't care what colour your bloody light is. Once apon a time I believe they encouraged one to cover their brakes while crossing an intersection - not floor it. :?
  9. I'm not sure if you know Footscray Rd well MJT but when heading into towards the city if you want to turn right or do a U Turn you actually have to use the Service Road to do it. You also have to cross 4 lanes in each direction to do a right hand turn.

Just before you get to the City Link flyover there is a railway crossing for the docks and this has the occasional, very slow & long, train blocking the road. This causes traffic to bank up badly and usually end up blocking up the part of the road the truck would've been using to turn right.

He probably entered the intersection on green and had to pick his way through all the cars blocking up the intersection and found himself in the middle of the west bound lanes after the lights had gone Red for him. The actual article in the paper stated the rider had no visual of the truck as he was blocked by another vehicle along side and dropped the bike trying to pull up in time.

This really looks like one of those six of one, half a dozen of the other situations when it comes to pointing the finger.
  10. some of you may think it's a bit harsh, but it sounds to me like the rider caused his own problem - didn't have enough visible space for the speed he was doing, and not enough practice to avoid locking a wheel under braking, which is probably why he dropped the bike.

We can all go on blaming others for our own mistakes, or we can accept the fact that ultimately, we are responsible for our own safety.