Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Call me anal, power to weight ratios on bigger bikes

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Julian Walker, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Yeah, Ive got nothing better to do than get out my calculator and analyse the power of different bikes. Ive read with keen eyes all the threads I could find about moving from a 250 to a 600 or 1000cc blah blah blah...
    I couldnt help but think that all litre bikes were tainted with the same brush. I want to now go to a bigger bike, and I am keen on the CBR1100 Blackbird. There are so many fors and against on this topic, recommendations to go for a 600 1st then a 1000,... and vica verca
    So this is what I came up with...
    ( HPower and Wght figures from www.motorbikes.be/en/)
    Power to wght ratios from my calculator

Suzuki GSXR1000 178BHP 166Kg = 1.07 Horsepower to weight ratio.
    Kawa Ninja ZX10 184HP 175Kg = 1.05
    Yamaha R1 175HP 172Kg = 1.02
    CBR1000F'blade 176HP 176kg = 1.00
    Kawa Ninja ZX14 190BHP 215Kg = .88
    Kawa Ninja ZX-6R 136BHP 164Kg = .83
    Yamaha R6 127HP 161Kg = .79
    CBR600RR 117BHP 163Kg = .71
    CBR1100 BBird 152HP 227Kg = .67

So am I kidding myself that the BlackBird is not such a leap in power as a GSX?
    Interstingly the CBR600 has a faster power to weight ratio than the BlackBird.
    Is the Blackbird the most conservative of a very non conservative bunch ?
    There also tourque issues here and the next time Im bored I may do those calculations as well.
    Tell me that Im barking up the wrong tree if I am, or is there some validity to this ?

Why do I ask? Just trying to justify my Blackbird purchasing desire, and to logically tell myself that its not the most powerful machine compared to some of the other options
  2. Most of those Hp figures are off by a bit, unless you working by modified bikes.
  3. Julian,
    I suggest you take a look at those torque figures. The XX is nothing short of a 2 wheeled missile. It is one of the very few bikes that you can be riding in 6th gear @60km/h comfortably, and just twist the fun handle to speed off no effort required.

Above about 160 km/h, the fun really starts, and this bike gets up and walks away from the Hayabusa until mid 200's.
    Go and ride one, you will be pleasantly surprised.
  4. I got the HPower figures all from the same website, I assume that they are fairly accurate. Do u know of anywhere other than www.motorbikes.be/en/ that I can look up such figures ?
  5. You could try the respective manufacturer websites for specs......
  6. meh, you are being anal.
    its all in the right wrist...as far as power to the road goes.
    get what you want
  7. Never been able to find the figures on there website, except for the big guns ie Kawa ZX14 etc but most dont mention it.
  8. Nah, i don't know any betters sites. I just know that the hp info and of the such isn't exact but its roughly around the mark.
  9. Try www.bikez.com

I'd say it's all about useable power though, and as mentioned above Torque is what many mere mortals look for.

And plus you gotta ride as many as you can to see what fits you best.
  10. yep, because the "on paper" stats mean squat when you cant throw that 200hp beast around because its handling sucks.
    gsxr- raw power, good squid-bike
    zx10- grunty, pleasant looking, never had the factory backing to provide the handling/braking
    yamaha- exceptional power to the back wheel, but feels as though it lacks the smoothness of a sports bike
    honda- only complaint have is that the dyno figures dont beat the spewzuki, and the rear brakes could do with some more bite. rides on rails, inspires confidence and is a honda -> bombproof (but i am so biased)
    please note, this is only based on my riding style, which is far from "expert" :LOL:
  11. Note that those power to weight ratios will radically change when you put a rider and fuel in it.

Also, you'll probably find the claimed weight and claimed horsepower figures are far more realistic on the bigger beasties.
  12. TWEET, I think he was more looking for reassurance that the Blackbird *won't* be too much of a handful, so your comments are kind of the opposite - but of course important to be understood.

The other thing with discussions of horsepower is that the peak number means diddly really - it's the power curve on the dyno you really need to look at, as well as the torque. If it hits that peak power number at only a narrow range of a few hundred revs, but it is much lower everywhere else, the peak number is basically pretty useless as a way to represent the bike's power. My guess is the Blackbird has a long low power curve with a broad plateau that means it provides near-peak power over a broad rev range... hence the aforementioned train (Shinkansen) qualities.
  13. Like so:

And here's a CBR1000RR for comparison:

14. Oh, and as requested: YUO AER TEH BUTSECKS!@!
  15. The link below may or may not be of interest ... replace driver with rider, automobile/car with bike

It's titled ...

"Torque and Horsepower - A Primer"

Power/Torque curves etc .. how and where you want the "oomph"

Top-end, mid-range, low down grunt etc

My old ZL1000 Eliminator was marketed as a street-legal, stoplight-to-stoplight, "drag bike".

It actually runs the same basic motor as the old ZX10/Ninja 1000, but with bigger carbs and different cams to provide low down grunt.

The ZX10/Ninja 1000 develops its "oomph" more or less in the mid to top-end range.

I guess what I'm trying to say is .. just looking at a quoted "HP to weight" figure doesn't give anywhere near a true picture of performance.

Cheers ..

16. Quoted dry weights are LIES.

Add your fluids, top up the tank and then throw it on some scales.

If anyone can find a site with figures for ready to ride weights please share.
  17. http://www.sportrider.com/tech/146_weights_measurements/

1kg = 2.2lbs

Wholly agree that all calculations should be done assuming a rider of 80kgs weight (including all gear).