Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

California Superbike School

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Nuff, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Would gs500f be ok for Level 1, 2 and 3? Hopefully I will only need it for levels up to 2, I've been told that Level 1 would be fine. But I'm not sure about the other ones.

I want to improve my riding/track skills as fast as possible. I'm going overseas in Feb and I'll frequent couple of race tracks on my mates bike and I want to make the most of it trashing it around :)

2. GS500f will be fine for the schools. I've seen 250s and cruisers do the levels I've done, all successfully.
    In the lower levels a good part of the day is conducted at low speed, and even by the end, it's about the cornering, so power is unimportant.

edit: just make sure your tyres are in good condition. Don't need to be new, but shouldn'r be bald or squared off.
  3. + 1 to Titus. It's a school, not a track day and you spend all the time practicing drills, no need to run quick.
  4. You will learn heaps more if you are concentrating on getting setup in terms of position and speed when cornering as apposed to trying to get to the next corner in the shortest possible time. The course teaches you how to keep the bike stable and on line through the corners.
    Make sure your bike is in good condition and there should be no dramas.
  5. Thanks guys, do they teach much about braking (maybe even trail braking) and setting up a corner in the higher levels?

It sounds like my bike should do the job just fine once I fix my fairing.
  6. Nup.

Lvl1 - Learning how to turn the bike (quickly)
    Lvl2 - How to use your eyes
    Lvl3 - How to use your body
    Lvl4 - Customised to your needs

At Lvl3 they start talking to you about your needs, but really, you learn so much in these it might be worth leaving trail braking until later.
  7. Hey sorry to revive a fossilized thread but just curious about this as i'm booked in to do the course soon.

I'm doing the Lvl 1 course, What kind of things do they cover? Do they cover the body positioning at all in the first level? bugger it, maybe i'm over analyzing this! :( I'm just hoping its all that i'm expecting it to be and i don't come out underwhelmed or overwhelmed by it.

Whats the pace like? Should I be stressing about it?

Also what time is it meant to start? Beside having booked and paying, I still have absolutely no information about where to go, what to do etc. so i'm going in a bit blind here :LOL:
  8. Depending on when you booked, you'll get a letter together with the usual kind of danger waiver and it will give you all the info about start time, what to bring, bike checks, what's included and what's not.

Just show up with an open mind and enjoy it. I did Level 1 about 12 months ago on my old CBR250 and managed to hold my own. Still keen to get back to do the rest. Seriously, it's not about pace at all and you will learn heaps. And I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for days...having watched races there and ridden pillion around the track, to actually be out there is the best feeling.
  9. Start times: It's a really full day. I think we started @ 7.30am, but call them to ask for more details. It WILL be in the confirmation you receive.

Level 1. This is all about turning and the basics of. You might think you know all about this, but you will learn heaps.

The day is a school. Some people like to go quick, but that's a mistake. Go slowly, practice your drills and your pace will gradually pick up during the day. One of the first drills is 2/3 gears and NO brakes. That really concentrates the mind!

Level 1 will sort out perhaps 80% of your issues (and some you didn't know you had).

It's a lot of money but a fantastic investment in your own skills.
  10. Not4, stop worrying!

From what I can recall they cover (as mentioned) using gears only and no braking, counter steering, head and body positioning and corner set up, entry, mid and exit.

And +1 on the 'Don't go too fast'. When I went, the first group out, the so called Advanced group, someone managed to drop his bike and spill its guts all over the track, closing half of it for the rest of the day. Not to mention the guy that totalled his Ninja on turn 2 in the afternoon, that was a sad sight.

Go to learn, get your skills worked on and enjoy it. They'll tape up your speedo too so you the focus isn't on it.

They do a decent sized lunch, too. Usually a pro photographer hanging around that you can get snaps off (kinda wish I had).
  11. I did Level 1 SBS on my GS500 (see avatar) when i was still on my L's (actually only had my licence a few weeks!).

I was the slowest one on the track, but it was a great learning experience and no one poked fun at my lack of experience or how slow i was going.

Im looking forward to doing level 2 and 3 when the funds allow me to do so...
  12. Thanks for all the feedback guys :grin:

I'm pretty excited to go as I feel like I want to learn to push the bike further but alot of the time am a bit unwilling to as i'm not a fan of hitting the national parks blind corners at blinding speeds :LOL:

Unfortunately around my area, that's the best spot for twisty roads but can sometimes be a bit dodgy and want to know the bike better so i rely less on luck and more on skill when navigating my way through corners.

All the advice has been sound so I give a +1 to all involved! Go on, give yourself a pat on the back, cause by golly you lot deserve it :p

My nerves have been squashed significantly. Thanks :grin: