Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

California Superbike School EC 27/7

Discussion in 'Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days' started by Madman, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Hi,

this friday 27/7 I'm doing level 1 of the California Superbike School at Eastern Creek and I was wondering if there is anyone else from the forum there this day as well?

2. I guess it's just going to be me then... :-k
  3. Hi there,

How did it go? What was covered?

I'm thinking of doing this sometime, would you recommend it?

4. It was absolutely brilliant. Learned more in 1 day than in the last 10.000km on the road.

The 5 most common cornering mistakes are covered. It's focussed on road riders with little or no track experience. You learn throttle control, lines, how to steer a bike into a corner.. that sort of thing. The lap times are not measured but you just know how much faster you're going.

I'm addicted now, will do level2 this monday and level3 in september :cool:

I recommend it to everyone who rides 'spirited'. You just learn how to go faster AND safer. Organisation is superb, you can really see they've been doing this for years and years and know their stuff.
  5. Thanks MM. I will definitely do it, was too slack to get in to the Monday course.

I'm 3rd on the waiting list for level one. Fingers crossed.

I'm quite inexperienced, only been riding about 2.5 years and done about 12 trackdays. Managed to get into the fast group on a 600, but just bought a 1000 and have to relearn from scratch.

I wonder if it will be information overload to enter 2 days in a row to do level 1 and 2.

6. After 2,5 year of riding and 12 (!) trackdays you call yuorself inexperienced? :?: :p

I had 2 years of riding and zero trackdays when I signed up. And I don't think it's info overload if you do two in a row, just make sure your are physically up for it.

I think they've got plenty more days coming up this year at EC. Their webiste is down now though so can't check.

Anway, have fune :grin:
  7. That'll annoy some people. :LOL:
  8. hey Madman,
    I've been considering doing this course a bit later in the year. You mentioned that it's focussed on road riders with little or no track experience. How do you think I road rider with only a few months of road riding would go? :)

9. You'll have no problems at all with that. When I was there there was actually a guy who had been riding for 1000km's and he had a ball. It doesn't really matter what you ride (alright, no choppers okay!) or how well you ride.

I don't want to sound like I'm working for them though so to balance it I'll write something negative. Right, here it comes...

oh yes, the day is long (07.00 - 17.00 hrs) so you get tired. And they had an off-track drill which I didn't have time for. And, well, that's it.
  10. Well, that's regarding the cornering ey. Don't think I learned much regarding cars pulling out in front of you on junctions that day. :wink:

@sillygit: I just saw you have a VTR250, you don't really see such small bikes out there. They say you're welcome with it but personally I think it's more for bigger bikes. The theorie of riding applies to us all though and I wouldn't be suprised to see an RS125 there.
  11. Yeah, I hear ya. I'm not exactly the most nimble of VTR250 riders either. :LOL:

It's one of those things I'd like to learn by instruction rather than trial and error. I'd probably see if I could hire a bike from them if I do end up doing it...
  12. They've got GSX-R600K7's for hire there, not bad looking bikes!

Thing with that is though, you end up spending a lot of time getting to know that bike because it's so diffrent to the one you ride normally. The learning curve on another persons bike is less steep than on your own I think.

Still, a chance to ride a 2007 race bike round Eastern Creek... who can say no to that??
  13. LOL at that picture!
  14. Glad to hear you had such a great time.

As for VTR250, go for it. It's a course, not a track day, the emphasis is on the basics of cornering and the essential principles are applicable to any bike. Best to learn now, fresh, before you build up 20yrs worth of bad habits.

I've done 1,2 and 3, will consider 4 later in the year. The instructors are superb, their training methods are so positive and the knowledge they have to impart so good.

I think doing 2 and 3 on consecutive days is a good idea, you will be bike and track fit. 2 is all about the eyes anyway, so the two courses are very different. The only downside is that you might be practicing lvl2 when you should be doing lvl3...
  15. sillygit..I'm on a VTR250 and intend on doing Level 1 on it. Where are you planning on doing it? cejay's taken a VTR250 out onto PI track and had a blast.

Let me know because you and I aren't the only netriders looking at doing Level 1 in the near future.
  16. I'm looking at doing it down at PI. It would be great to have a few of the lower powered bikes there... :)

I'm definitely going to do the course before the warmer weather kicks in (no later than the start of November). I need to get my bike serviced in a few hundred Ks and I need a new rear tyre put on. So probably around mid-september at the earliest.

Maybe we should start a "Who wants to do the California Superbike School at PI in the next few months" thread...

17. Cheers mate. I still mess up a bit. Need to sort out my right hand cornering, can't drag my right pegs.

Just missed out on the Monday course, wonder if I just rock up and ask politely if they'll let me in. Will book myself in to the two in Oct. That's the best I can do, I guess.

I should be ok fitness wise, have done about 12, 20 minute sessions in one day going out back to back in the fast and medium groups.... yeah I'll stop bragging now.
  18. Is the course more focused on track riding or street riding?
    From reading the website, its lokos that the lower levels will teach the basics of cornering and that the later levels are more about racing lines and overtaking. Looks like a good course and well priced.
    How does it compare to stayupright and the honda course?
    There is not much info on their websites.
    Madman did you get the lunch? Just wondering what it is, lol.
  19. It's definately focussed on track riding but that doesn't mean you cannot use this on the road. The basic principles are the same...

about the lunch: it's just a nice baguette, muffin and apple with orange juice... :?: Fine for me though :grin:
  20. As Madman says, it's not a road craft course. They concentrate on cornering and how to do it better. Riding a bike, knowing how to turn safely is pretty important. Go book and see, I promise you that you will learn something and have an incredible amount of fun.