Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Calibrating electronic speedo

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Meph, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Hi,

Might be a weird question, but can you get your digital speedo checked/recalibrated? Everywhere i go, i do the speed limit but get tailgated, its worse than in the car (which i also do not speed in).

Just wondered, is there somewhere that could do that?

2. Three ways of doing it, in order of cheaper to dearer.

Get a lend of a GPS and see what your speedo is reading at a real speed. $0.

Or get a cycle computer, calibrate it against a GPS at a cost of around $30.

Or spend a $150 and get a "speedo healer", which fixes the error in digital and electronic analog speedos, IF there is one available for your bike.

I have both a GPS and a cycle computer. GPS, Garmin Etrex Legend C is good for trip computer functions, and its mapping's OK, too. But expensive at around $350. I use it for long trips mainly. Cycle computer is used in a similar way but it is a permanent fixture and gives me an accurate speedo, clock, second trip meter and other data such as average speed, max speed, riding time and so on.