Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Calculating licence suspension

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by lillilster, May 27, 2012.

1. Opening my mail recently I found two speeding offences on my motorcycle from fixed cameras and received another one in person (all between 11pm and 2am on dead empty roads). The speeding offences occurred in the last few weeks and I already have 4 demerit points on my licence. I have a P1 licence and in total this accumulate to 18 demerit points:

Parking in a no-stopping school zone - 2 points
    Not displaying P-Plates - 2 points
    Speeding - >10 < 20 - 5 points
    Speeding - >10 <20 - 5 points
    Speeding - <10 - 4 point

= 18 points

I haven't yet paid for any of the speeding offences. How long is the licence suspension I should be expecting?

2. I don't know but there should be an increment for carelessness as well :roll:

How HAVE you managed to accumulate that hit list???
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Two were from the same camera that I didn't know was there until now.
  4. #4 smileedude, May 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    You have been busy.

This thread could get fun....

5. I'm not sure what to say. Obviously you are in the habit of making up your own rules in regards to speed limits, and the RTA must have thought that others are travelling that road with the same attitude.
  6. Reaching or exceeding the demerit points limit results in licence suspension or refusal. Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) will send a Notice of Suspension or Refusal to a licence holder who reaches or exceeds the number of points available for their type of licence, or who commits an excessive speed offence. A Notice of suspension or refusal will specify the date the licence suspension or refusal is to begin. The imposition of a licence suspension or refusal period relies on Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority) serving a Notice.

For unrestricted licence holders, the period of suspension depends on the number of points accumulated as follows:
    •13 to 15 points - three months.
    •16 to 19 points - four months.
    •20 or more points - five months.
    •For provisional and learner licence holders, the suspension period is three months.
  7. Agreed. This is probably what I needed to change my habits; I was getting away with riding too fast for too long and it just became a routine. But if they are accumulative, 9 months will be a long time to wait.
  8. I know what you mean; I've had one three month lay-off through injury a few years back, but the pain of not being able to ride was worse than the pain of broken ribs :eek:uch:
  9. Minimum 6 months I reckon.
    3 months suspension for any speeding when on P's. Then I figure 3 months more for the 2 x 2 demerits.
    Maybe more.
  10. 3 months
  11. #13 smileedude, May 27, 2012
    I'm going with 4 months based on this info. While it says 3 for provisional I don't think they expect a p Plater to accumulate over 16 and haven't stated it.

12. #14 toadcat, May 27, 2012
    It's 3 months ](*,)
  13. hmm. I do think you could get away with three months if you play your cards right. The most important thing is to pay all the fines together rather than separately. None of the speeding offenses carry their own suspension, so it shouldn't compound, nor do I think you will be required to present yourself to a courtroom.

Paying them together should carry a notice that you have exceeded your 4 points and you face suspension. If you pay them separately, it will trigger separately and you may have to face suspensions for each time you are recorded losing your 4 points.

And Hornet, I suppose you have never played God with the RTA determined maximum safe speed for a road? Wait a minute...
  14. #16 smileedude, May 27, 2012
    Strange the penalty is less for a p plater then unrestricted. Not arguing but usually the penalties are worse for provisional.

15. #17 toadcat, May 27, 2012
    Yeah, it's quite a strange system.... My mate had accrued 24 points (2x the amount needed for even a full license suspension.. whilst he was on P2's..) and I was very surprised to find out it's only 3 months. Makes no sense, but then again, the RTA avoids that like the plague with everything else it does..
  16. Reckon if I get three months, I'll count myself as the luckiest man in the world.
  17. You gonna tell your folks?
  18. You should pay more attention to the locations of FIXED speed cameras and the ever so slightly obvious car on the side of the road, with a box in front of it.

but by the sounds of it.. 3-6 months.

Hate to point out the obvious but... if you know where they are you can save yourself the money and points, especially if you ride the same area all the time (i'm guessing you do).
    How much are each of the fines out of curiosity?