Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cairns Noob

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge' at netrider.net.au started by Bunk, Jul 19, 2015.

1. G'day All,

Just got my RE licence last week, new to road riding and been a long break since I road dirt bikes (20 odd years). Looking for my first bike, quite like the MT-07 or the Ducati Monster 659, although had a couple of mates tell me I'm wasting my money as I'll want something bigger in a years time. I've got a bit of time to decide as SWMBO hasn't released the funds yet.

Anyway, great site. Spent a couple of days reading the Riding Tips forum and I've learnt a heap already!

Cheers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. G'day and welcome, BunkBunk. Congratulations for getting your RE license! Hard to go wrong with either of the motorcycles you've shortlisted. Sit on as many bikes as you can before deciding - there are so many good LAMS models.

3. Welcome Bunk, you have at least 2 years on a LAMS bike under the QLD system so if you buy new there will be a reasonable depreciation hit. On the other hand riding a new bike means you know its history and you may be happy with it and not in a hurry to upgrade.

4. Hi BunkBunk and welcome to NR.

5. Welcome to NR..

6. I bought an mt07. If you have to ride a lams bike and you want power then i think it is the best in the class.
    a lot of people say they would be happy to hold onto it for awhile when the restrictions are up.
    I thought about ducati but chose yamaha because of the easy to get parts and I really liked the look of the bike and the digital display. Not to mention it's a beast. Plenty of power and torque in it that I don't even need.
    there is n mt07 group on facebook maybe worth looking at.

7. Lovely riding area.....the range roads are a treat, Gillies in particular but you might enjoy a dual sport as you quickly run out of new pavement but there are lovely forest trails.
    The Honda CBX500 is LAMs and a total treat to ride.