Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cagiva Mito 500

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by jd, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Recently revealed at the EICMA show by Cagiva was a Mito with the standard 125cc 2-stroke replaced by a 500cc four-stroke from Husqvarna. Output is just 50hp but since the frame is unchanged dry weight is quoted as being just 133kg. The parts sharing has also kept costs down - in the UK it's expected to sell for around the same as a SV650. It's about time single cylinder sportsbikes made a comeback, I want one.

2. Well it looks nice, but I was kind of hoping it'd be a 2-stroke 500 in there.

Still, built for supermono racing, it'd be a killer track bike.
  3. Very very very tempting!
  4. Nice looking bike, bit different and probably go the clappers, is nice :grin:
  5. Nice, 33kg less than the lightest current 600. But then its quite a few Hp short. Though they are hardly competing on the same level. Heres another nice pic of it :D

6. Are you suggesting it's going into production? I wouldn't be surprised, given owners Piaggio are spending big on development in Aprilia and Moto Guzzi. Cagiva musn't have had a single genuine new model for 10 years?

Anyway, looks great, 50hp is very high for a single, especially one that weighs so little, should be a blast.

I'd be interested to know how long the life is between rebuilds of the Husqvarna single? That's a very high state of tune, similar to a wr450, and you'd be looking at less than 20'000km's between rebuilds wouldn't you?

That's great for a track bike, but completely impracticle for the rest of us.

Really, they should look at modifying the frame and using a 650cc single if they want reliable power, or if they want to keep weight down use something like a DRZ-400 engine.
  7. hmmm I want the model too :LOL:
  8. Untill I read the next couple of post, I didn't realise there was a bike in this photo.
  9. Haha iwant em in oz so i can swap the frame and VIN of a 125 mito and call it a lams bikes
  10. It probably would be a LAMS bike anyway.

less than 660cc and the power/weight probable would still qualify
  11. If the Mito is using the engine from the SM510R then it'll definately make the LAMs list - the SM510R does and it's even lighter.
  12. o single cyclnder (red the post again)
    Why would cagia make an underpowered sports bike.
    The 125 mito supposed to be the fatest stock 125 two stroke around
  13. Because not everyone cares about straight line performance.
  14. And a 500cc four stroke single would be even faster again due to it's much broader power band.
  15. 1: Power = faster in a straight line
    2: Lighter = faster everywhere

Pick one, I go for number 2 :grin:

16. errr ok confused
    i thought
    more cylinders = efficency in performance = speed "eg cbrrrrrrrr250"
    so how does 1 cyclinder = brod power band = speed

if ya know were ur power band is u just keep the revs there how would this be an advantage ( genuine question not being a smartarse)
  17. Yep more cylinders (usually) means greater peak power and torque, however less cylinders (usually) gives a broader power/torque curve. So even though overall output is less the engine will have greater "flexibility" - ie you won't have to worry so much about always being in exactly the right gear/rpm range to get the bike moving. Of course the original 125 Mito is a single too but it's also a 2-stroke which are (usually) always peaky in their power delivery.
  18. What do you only ride in a straight line in the one gear or something?

As soon as you have to go round corners, speed up, slow down and change gears the motor with the broader power band will kick the others arse.

Big singles have grunt.

Small 2-strokes don't.
  19. im just pointing out its not hard to keep the rpms in the power band. I dont see the reason for a nice big flat dyno read out or why it would make u go faster. (around corners or otherwise)
  20. Other things being equal... torque = acceleration and power = top speed.

So a 50ps bike with more torque will accelerate quicker.

Which is why a broad spread of high torque is better than a narrow spread of high torque.

It's basically the same reason why a ducati 999 twin is as fast in the real world as a CBR1000RR (at all except for top speed).