Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cagiva Mito 125

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Maplesyrup, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Im looking for a learner bike that im not going to want to sell as soon as I get my full license. I saw this bike, it looks challenging to ride has enough performance to keep me happy once I get my road confidense, is only a 125-so easy on fuel but resonably cheap. BUT I have honestly never heard of this brand until ive stumbled upon it. If I dropped the bike is it going to cost me an arm and leg to repair or is parts easy to come by? How does it compare with other sport styled bikes in the learner bracket, bassically im just trying to find anything you know about this bike so if you can help it would be great!
    Thanx Josh

2. being italian made, id say the parts would be very expensive and hard to come by (i think)

Cagiva was the 1st bike rossi used to race so it is a known make
  3. Cagiva used to own Ducati, hence that's where the Mito got the Ducati 916-look.

I can't imagine the parts or service being cheap on the thing, for the reason mentioned above.

I haven't looked at the LAMs bikes closely enough to compare between all of them, but I can't imagine a 2-stroke 125 being far off from performance levels of most LAMs 4-strokers.
  4. Not sure how much you know about bikes and what not so just dis-regard if this is already known but the Mito is a 2-Stroke and therefore needs a bit more maintenance than a 4-stroke. It is good looking and will perform well due to be a 2-stroke. As for dropping it, it's one of the lighter bikes i've seen but if you did it wouldn't be cheap
  5. Yeh Cagiva owned Ducati briefly, and Tamburini did the design (who did the 916) hence the facsimile look.

Cagiva is now owned by MV Agusta!

Basically the Cagiva is very very similar to the Aprilia RS125. Not a great learner bike, but if you are willing to live with it will definitely have more legs and capability than any other LAM's bike... in terms of sports bike anyway.

Costs are large for parts, and I'm guessing even worse than Aprilia as Cagiva's are rarer. For an idea the side fairing on an RS125 retails for about $1200. Expect the same or more in the case of a Cagiva, and imo, the easier possibility of ruining two panels of fairing in a drop as opposed to simply just one on an RS.

I believe (and this is very third hand information) that they are slightly faster than the RS125 and with ever so slightly better brakes (and a steering damper) but otherwise the RS handles better and has more options for modding. Take that as you will though with a pile of salt.

I absolutely love mine to bits, and it performs quite closely to a few 600's apart from straight line speed and power.

Read this thread for comments pertinant to you: https://netrider.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?t=63448&highlight=rs125 (especially the second page).

Essentially if you have the inclination (and $$$) to look after it well as intended it would make a great bike - you can't take shortcuts.

As a newbie on the road I don't recommend it. Mistakes are easy (and expensive) and bad habits can be enforced by riding it. Insurance is hella expensive too.

Also... if you are new to the road (not just bikes) I would stay well away, as they are a bit rubbish for commuting, the mirrors are next to useless and the position is not conducive to defensive awareness.
  6. which is now owned by harley davidson
  7. non genuine parts can be sourced from the UK quite easily, and at a much much cheaper price than going through the local distributor. You will also get them much quicker than the local distributor too.

The mito is a good bike, is a big learning curve getting used ot the power band, but they are a bike that gets abused by their owners that don't know how different a 2 stroke bike is compared to a 4 stroke.

When oyu get a chance, have a ride of one, and then see if it still is someting you want.
  8. Never ridden a Mito 125 but own an Aprilia 125. They are a bit to get used to if you're a first-timer or are used to four-strokes...its all about top end power delivery and fine clutch work to get the best out of them. Having said that, they're light little things and the Aprilia actually has some size on it so its alright for taller riders (I'm 6'3").

There are a few Aprilias getting sold on eBay, thats how I got mine. If you're prepared to do the maintenance/rebuilding yourself they could work out to be a cheap first bike. Parts aren't common and will cost you a bit from the dealer, but UK eBay stores are a godsend...as in 1/5th the price for a top end kit including postage, compared to the dealers quote.

They're simple to learn mechanical stuff on, too. If you're nervous just buy a junker whipper-snipper for $10 and pull that apart and put it back together, it'll give you a good idea of whats going on. If you're worried about dropping it just get Oggy Knobs or similar fairing crash-protectors.

At the end of the day, I'd recommend one if you're prepared to look after it a bit. I reckon I'll keep mine past full license, its a bucket of fun and insanely flickable. You can 'thrash' it around town and still be doing (mostly) legal speeds, too :)

Hope that helps - boingk
  9. if you like reving the crap out of it at takeoff so the excel doesn't hit you from the back!
    mate had one and had it at mechanics for 3 months waiting for parts
    it also likes to flood the engine, nothing short of changing the spark plug would fix it, and you cannot find neutral once you are in first, have to be from 2nd gear
    i woudl say it is that bike, but cbr250rr with more k's does not have the same prob
    not recommended
  10. when i was looking around at ducati 848, my mate asked about the cagiva. ONLY get one if you intend to ride it hard, race it on a track, and are prepared to pay a lot for engine rebuilds ands parts. For a learner bike i couldnt think of anything worse. It is not that it is a bad or unreliable bike, it is like buying a ducati first up. It is made for the track so on the road it will be an arse to ride with. Thats coming from the dealers mouth too.