Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cager decided to buy me a new bike

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by lizardmech, Sep 5, 2007.

  1. By ramming me while at the lights at about 40km/h. Anyone know if their insurance company has to provide any rental car/bike? I have no way to commute to work now. :mad:

  2. their insurance company almost certainly have no requirement to supply you with any replacement transport. Have you made a claim against them as yet? Do you have your own insurance?

    Welcome to Netrider BTW.
  3. 101 - I think you and I were thinking the same thing at the same time ;)
  4. I have full comp insurance, I have enough spare cash to quickly just buy something else cheap so I will probably do that I guess, I don't think the insurance company will want to repair a gray import 250 that managed to smash through a bullbar, front bumper and radiator with its rear end.

    Think we were doonx!
  6. You haven't mentioned any injuries.
    Guessing you didn't get hurt. How'd you manage that?
    Welcome to net rider.
    And be prepared to find this thread in politics and law. My guess anyway.


    Sorry I'm bored.
  7. Don't know how I didn't get hurt, I was wearing complete riding gear got thrown in the air and just did a backwards breakfall like I have practiced when doing martial arts. I just seem to have bruised my arms and and back of my ribs where I rolled along and maybe tore some mucles abit. I will go to the doctors tommorow I guess.
  8. fcuk! could have been so much worse.

    what was the driver's reaction to what they did?
  9. Generally the insurance company doesn't have to supply you with transport unless you use the vehicle FOR work, such as if you are a courier.

  10. If your car was stolen the insurance company would offer a rental car, but not if it was in an accident.

    Smash repair shops often offer courtesy cars to their customers. I don't know how this relates to a bike repair. Anyway, it looks like your bike wont be getting repaired anyway, so I guess you are out of luck.
  11. Read your insurance policy. If it includes an option to provide a rental vehicle while yours is being repaired, or until a claim is settled, and you took out that option, then yes, you can get a rental. Your insurance company will recover costs from the other guys.

    Otherwise, the other guys insurance company doesn't owe you anything except the replacement value of your bike, gear etc.
  12. The only time I've ever been able to claim a rental car was when I was hit by an RAC patrol car and my car was written off. I claimed directly off them, though, and not off my insurance company. Had to take it up with management and show evidence that I needed my car for work.
  13. If you have even slight injuries get to your doctor a.s.a.p. Make sure you tell them it was a traffic accident or if you have dramas later T A C will be bastards to deal with. ( Welcome to N.R.)
  14. Doctor seemed to think it was just bruising and soft tissue damage. Bikeshop said the frame is completely bent and some steel tubing is no longer round (it was a bandit 250). It took about 10 mins to get the police to comprehend the bike was launched forwards into the air and that I got catapulted into the air as it hit. They seemed to think the car just sort of rolled into me and made me drop it at first lol.

    I will just buy a new one soon since I can't see them repairing a cracked and bent frame on a crappy 250 grey import.

    I don't know if I want a VTR250 or ZZR250 though, I don't want another 4cyl, the lack of torque was annoying for commuting.
  15. have you tried and find out by ringing your insurance agency???