Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Caffeinated homebrew

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by duncan_bayne, Jul 15, 2012.

1. 7572127518_d88657549e.

:applause:

(Background: 'Dratt', short for dog-rat, is the nickname of one of our dogs who behaves as though she's perpetually caffeinated. We live in the hills, hence the mountain. The red dots are so I can distinguish between the regular and caffeinated bottles before labelling.)

2. So is that made with added coffee or are you using something else for the caffeine?

Also when did you add it, during fermentation or during bottling?

3. The recipe is: one can of Coopers Amber Malt Extract, one can of Coopers IPA Concentrate. Ferment as usual, then instead of carbonation drops use two No-Doz tablets at bottling time.

This particular batch spent two weeks instead of ~ 5 days in the fermenter, because of a lack of spare time (new baby, bike broke down, busy at work). It was a sealed fermenter though so doesn't seem to have done it any harm, the wort is particularly tasty.

(Geek note - the QR code on the label links to my personal website with the recipe :) ).

4. Interesting. What are you using as a source of caffeine?

Edit: Ah, never mind (stupid slow internet).

5. Interesting, I wouldn't have thought no-doz would have had enough ferment-able product to do that.
    And yeah, leaving the wort in a fermenter for a little while after it was meant to be bottled won't hurt it as long as you have a airtight seal.

Tell us how it turns out, I might get my dad to add it to his recipe list for his store or at least try it. (My father owns Sunbury Home Brew Supplies :D)

6. One of my best home brews was made when I went on holiday and its sat unmolested for an additional week, was perfect. Maybe there's something to just leaving it alone a to do its thing for a bit extra time over what it says on the packet.

7. Often when you leave it for longer it has a chance to fully ferment, especially in cold weather.
    If you use a hydrometer and check the specific gravity and get the same reading 2-3 days in a row it should be fermented fully. Some people come into the store saying that the beer tastes awful (sometimes their bottles have even exploded) and when asked if they had checked the gravity/gotten the same reading for 2 days they look at me like I have 2 heads.

So, where was I heading with this... Oh yeah, pwbike, yes leaving it for longer will help ensure it's fermented properly but if you are wanting to get it done quickly use a hydrometer.

8. I used to use an hydrometer and calculate the alcohol content etc. Now I'm lazy, leave it sitting around in the fermenter for ages ... and it tastes better as a result :)

9. You'll find that you'll get a better flavour the longer you leave it in the bottles too.
    We've got bottles that are 4+ years old and they're excellent. We've also got a few kegs that are 3+ years old, dad doesn't want to give them out as samples anymore. :LOL:

10. It doesn't - or at least, not quite. But if I put in carbonation drops as well, it winds up explosively effervescent when opened. I'll take 'not quite as fizzy' over 'holy sh*t! what a mess' every time.

11. I usually leave my fermenting for 2 weeks before bottling...too lazy to use hygrometer.
    TM

12. screw the beer go the spirits

13. Hmm, caffeinated vodka - now there's an idea (though possibly not a good one)

14. have you never tryed vodka an redbull?

15. I wouldn't want to ruin vodka by putting redbull in it. I'm not sure some things are meant to be mixed, I mean plenty of people enjoy cigarettes and beer but I wouldn't go putting tobacco leaves in homebrew.

16. Definitely leave your brews longer than 5 days. I usually give it two weeks and then pour it into a second fermenter (takes it off the trube which can give it bitterness and allows it to clear) and leave it at least a week for an ale and up to 8 for a lager. But I also use a fermenting fridge so I can get it fermenting as slow as possible without going dormant and chill the brew for another week to really clear it up before kegging it.

Im a little nuts about my homebrew. My fridge is usually full of hops and yeasts and my garage is a barley silo.

Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa Tapa

17. I would be careful about adding anything other than sugars during bottling. Some chemicals can aid the yeast or break down your complex sugars. So you end up with more fermentation and exploding bottles. Hopefully the no-doze doesn't make the yeast hyperactive.

18. So how does this grown-ups' version of Pulse cans go? I understand the concept, but is it an enjoyable drink?

19. Those are plastic bottles, they're not (as) likely to explode even if the yeast does somehow go crazy.

20. Yeah exploding plastic bottles is not likely. Just quickly googled caffeine and yeast. One article said it can kill it and the other said it can extend it's life. I doubt it will have much effect but if the bottles end up fizzier than expected then that might explain it.