Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cafe Racer / Streetfighter

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Komunista, Jun 19, 2007.

1. ANyone here into Cafe Racers and Streetfighters. Just curios as i am getting heavily into them and im wanting to chat with like minded people.

Im in the process of PIMPING out my VTR250 to kind of make a cross between a CAFE RACER and Streefighter.
  2. wouldn't that just make it a standard naked bike?
  3. Isn't the VTR250 a bit too girly to be a cafe racer / street fighter?
    It'd be more of a Pillow Fighter then a street fighter.

But, if that's you want to do then it's your choice I suppose...not that there's anything wrong with that.

Personally, I'd start saving for something bigger like a Street Triple, Bonniville or a S2R Monster etc.
  4. yeh i get alot of people saying the vtr250 is girly wimpy etc etc. i dont really care what people think. I love my bike and i still intend to get a bigger bike once im off my L's and still keep my vtr.

The mods i will be doing are

- clip on handle bars
    - custom belly pan
    - custom lights
    - custom seat
    - custom exhaust
    - polish the heads
    - fit a bigger carby kit
    - custom slimline intrument cluster

As far as the VTR250 being too weak obviously who ever says that has not ridden a VTR. Its considered the best over all 250cc that honda has ever produced.
  5. Cool but :worthlesspics:
  6. Big words coming from a Hyosung rider..rofl hyo rofl..

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
  7. leave the engine alone. exhaust, filter and jets. After that you would be throwing money at nothing. Chances are the carbies are way oversized and head polishing should be left to the bedroom or anywhere else you can get it.
  8. And your lil' 250 is soo more powerful then a 650cc V-twin :roll: come back to me when you have your full licence & a real bike..

Oops, I forgot, you can't ride a big bike cos you little legs wouldn't touch the ground. :LOL: :LOL: May you should ad a lowering kit to your list as well.
  9. Heh, I am into streetfightering my GPX250... removed the fairings, painted some stuff, got new indicators, new dual headlights... Need a new instrument panel now .. the stock one looks out of place. Then I need to decide what else is happening.

Anyway, you can't realy streetfighter a VTR fitting in the standard definition.
    or a cafe racer
    It's all good fun modding though. Make sure you take some pics for us and post up your mods!
  10. Don't do it! You will spend heaps of money and then end up selling the bike once you all legally allowed to get something bigger. Or spend the money just make sure you set a budget and do go crazy spending $2K or something.
  11. The basic concept of a cafe racer was to produce something lighter and faster - try doing that with a VTR and you're just going to end up with a Spada.
  12. Exactly my point JD, I reckon your better off saving your money & buying a real cafe racer.
    A mod'd vtr250 will always just be a mod'd vtr250, never a cafe racer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for modifying bikes, I just can't see a VTR250 being a cafe racer or a true street fighter. but each to their own.
  13. spending money on modifiying bikes never makes sence. As soon as you've spent the money you are never going to get all of it back when you sell it.

If you are going to spend money on parts, then you've got to access how much benefit you are going to get out of it personally and what effect it's going to have to resale price.

Life would be boring if nobody moded a bike, but don't be stupid about it.
  14. yes thats a great idea just buy a cafe racer and be another tosser :LOL:

the idea behind cafe racer is just the sort of thing that Komunista is talking about , someone cutomising a bike the way that they like it

Komunista good for you , i really enjoyed the Vtr I had for a short while, and they do sound awesome with a pipe

as mentioned forget the porting head bollocks ,go the pipe , look around, scour ebay and the like and find some lights and instruments that would suit

all these items are easily sellable again should you decide to sell it so far from being a waste of money
  15. I work for a motorcycle Company and i have full access to the work shop. This little project is costing me just a case of beer :)
  16. So by your reasoning you shouldn't spend money on petrol because it doesn't increase the retail value when you go to sell it. Don't buy new clothes because it doesn't matter once you die ?

The point is that it's fun making your bike individual. I know my GPX is probably actually worth less now than before I modified it because alot of people don't want what I have made my bike into but it stands out and I LIKE IT AND IT MAKES ME HAPPY !
  17. hey dude can you post pics of your bike wud really like to see how it looks
  18. Perhaps you should have read all my post.
  19. in answer to the original thread, i too am getting into street fighters. and before anyone asks, i dont have a bike yet. but there is one particular vtr250 currently for sale which i would buy in a heart beat. its had a single seat conversion and it looks good as is. now if i could just get that damn raise....
    but yeah, give us a shout komunista if you wanna talk street fighters
  20. if you wanna do it, do it.

but just weigh up whether the money you spend on it is gonna be worth the fun you have with it.
    if you buy a bike for 2k, you should expect to get 2k worth of use out of it. (unless you expect to sell it for the same)

If you spend 2k customizing on it. you now have a bike worth a little over 2k that has to provide you with 4k worth of use and enjoyment.
    Customizations rarely increase the value of a bike. But if you do them yourself you can learn alot, save heaps and have a great time, plus i'm sure there are plenty of people here who can give useful tips and opinions.

(and some pointless flaming ofcourse... ).

have a peek at these