Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cafe Racer handle bars

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by MeltingDOg, May 18, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I'm a bit of a newb here so forgive my ignorance. I have a great little Suzuki GN250 and I just think it would look good with some cafe racer style handle bars.

If anyone has done something like this before:

is a small conversion like this hard to do (ie. with a bit of know how could you do it yourself)?

What are the associated costs (parts plus labour)?

Where (in and around Brisbane) can I get parts and does anyone know of any businesses that can do this?

2. My first question would be-

Clip on's or Clubman's?
  3. I think Clubmans would be the better option
  4. Flip the bars upside down.
  5. You can do it yourself really easily mate, especially if you're going for clubmans.
  6. Know of any online guides or how-tos?
  7. To be honest mate, it's so unspectacular you don't really need one.

I'm not sure of the way your controls are set up, but you loosen the two screws holding each in, pull them off and rest them on soemthign with all the cables etc still attached. Unscrew the four bolts that hold the bars to the top triple clip and take the old bars off, new bars on and then reattach the controls.
  8. Years ago a mate bought a GTS 860 Bevel Ducati and it had horrible mini ape hanger bars fitted from the factory.So we get a set of more sporty bar and set to it,all went well till we discovered that Ducati had run the switch wires through the inside of the bars hard wired then into the lome.We had to cut and splice about 15 wires,never seen this since so as stated its mostly an easy job,only drama you might have is sometimes they put a tiny pin in the switchblock that goes into a hole in the bar to stop them rotation,this can be filed off easily.You will probably need a Philip's screwdriver a set of alan keys and a few spanners,a good tip is fit the clutch brake and throttle loosely before you mount the bars,sometimes the cable lengths restrict getting them onto the end of the bar
  9. Or alternatively, a nipple on the controls that fits to a divot in the bar.