Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cable fell out - 2003 Kawasaki zzr250

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Dragz, Mar 8, 2005.

1. Hi people,

I was riding last night and when i got home and parked the bike, i looked down to see a cable hanging out from the front wheel. I don't know much about bikes but was hoping that someone could confirm what this cable does.

While I was riding, I noticed the speedo and tacho stopped working. So I'm assuming that the cable that fell out is the one that connects the speedo and tacho to the front wheel ????

I'm also a bit worried that something fell out of my bike in the first place ... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dragz

2. Hi Dragz!! Welcome aboard!

Fortunately, your problem is a REALLY easy fix. If your speedo and tacho are gone, then your speedo cable has either fallen out of the back of your dash, or its fallen out at the front wheel axle.

All you need to do is feed the cable up behind your instrument cluster. Feel around at the back of your speedo and you should be able to feel a stickyouty bit in the middle. The cable screws into that bit. Make sure its done up tight, but thats it!!!

Good luck!!

:D :D :D

3. thanks so much ... was hoping it was something like that ... will also check the other cables just in case ... thanks for replying so quickly :)

4. No problemo! The cable fell out of my ZZR250, so I learnt the hard way (didn't have the resources you young 'uns have these days!). Its pretty much the same procedure for most bikes (with analogue instruments....not sure about digital but my guess is they're the same as well) as I found out when it happened on the Duke as well last year :roll:

:D :D :D

5. Yeps ... gotta say the resources today make life a fair bit easier, but still wouldn't be possible without the people who take the time out to help newbies like me ... so thanks again - much appreciated :)

6. its always good to get sensible advice.hope all fixed now m8

7. hi, I have had this same problem and I cant for the life of me find the spot it fell out of! What does it look like? (I have a gpx)

8. Hey, um I sorta just felt where it was ... from lil's post just 'Feel around at the back of your speedo and you should be able to feel a stickyouty bit in the middle. The cable screws into that bit. Make sure its done up tight, but thats it', that's basically all I did.

I found it hard to screw it up tight coz tools I had didn't fit around there, but just used my hands and so far it's still there. Just feel around the back of the speedo, find something sticking out and see if the cable fits in. If you still can't find it ... then I've got no clue - sorri :?

9. i think i found it, but its not got anything to screw it in with, like is there suppoosed to be a nut or something attached? theres this long round thing on the cable, but it wont screw in.

10. I had the same thing happen to my old CBR250R when opening up the throttle on an on ramp. sorted it out once I got home and could grab a torch to see where I was aiming.

This is a lot easier to prevent than it is to solve since its usually in a fiddly spot you can't see. If the cable is still attached then its just a matter of following up up behind the fairings and then to the back of the tacho, a few twists should tighten it back up.

Once it has come off then you have the problem of finding where it screws back on and then lining the threads up without seeing what you are looking at. Sometimes it is much easier to take off a fairing or two so you can see what you are doing and better able to contort you arm to get up to the connection.

Eswen, you are only just up the road from me. If you'd like I could come and have a look for you. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

11. thanks for offering, see pm :D