Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Cabbie assaulted biker in CBD this morning...

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by kampa77, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Taxi makes a last minute decision to move into the right lane - no indicator and in doing so nearly takes out a rider. :shock
    At the next set of traffic lights the taxi driver pulls in and bike rider gets off bike to give him an ear full. Bike rider points at taxi drivers identification card and requests it. Taxi driver grabs riders hand. :mad In attempt to release the hand being yanked back and forwards, two police officers run from the parliament building steps across the road to get involved in the action.
    Pull the cabbie over around the corner and bike ride up on footpath.
    !st cop runs to interview the cabbie. 2nd cop accuses the biker of reaching through the cabbies window and swinging numerous times. When rider advises the cop this is not what happened, the cop get agro and asks "are you going to argue with me over what my partner and I just witnessed you doing..??" Rider bewildered by this send manager an sms to advise he's likely to be late for work (as he thinks he's off to the cells) when the 1st cop arrives and chats to the 2nd cop. [-o<
    After a few mins of chatting between them, they advise the rider the cabbie doesn't want to proceed with charges as he doesn't have the time, and pointed out to the rider he was lucky this time.
    Rider goes to work, sitting writing this wondering what in the hell just happened, and hope this never happens to any fellow riders out there.

2. Is life teaching you a lesson about not losing your cool?

(You saw the cabbie changing lanes - you avoided him... did he need an earful?)

Having said that: it really does suck to be accused of something you didn't do. It usually fires you up even more!

(edited for spelling)
  3. That rider just experienced discrimination because he was a biker... not because he was in the wrong (or in the right) just because he was a biker.

It used to happen all the time and yes it happens less these days but it still happens.
  4. You're lucky you didn't belt him or you'd be needing a shower and still be late for work. :LOL:
    Seriously though we see that sort of driving most days we're on the bike and we don't take it any further than a shake of the head.
    You avoided him so why take it to the physical level?
  5. That rider should not have "pointed" at the taxi driver's identification card by putting his hand inside the cab. There are limits to breaching a person's space - and that was beyond the allowed limit. Even if the rider's hand didn't enter the cab, and the taxi driver actually grabbed the rider's hand, it seems that threatening demeanour by the rider may have startled the taxi driver into thinking he will be assaulted and he may have acted in self defense.

The matter is what a reasonable person would've thought - the taxi driver, and two police officers felt that the rider's action resembled a threat (regardless of what the rider actually intended) and acted according to what was apparent.

It should've been sufficient to get the taxi's identification plate (number plate) if the biker wanted to make a report of some sort. You have to be careful out there, and as dan_ said don't lose your cool. I highly doubt there was any discrimination in place - the taxi driver was in his car and the rider was the party that approached him.

PS, it doesn't matter who was at fault in the traffic accident. Otherwise we'd all get to assault soccer moms on a daily basis :p
  6. I dont even know why they bother putting indicators on cars any more, in practise their use appears to be entirely optional :roll: (couldnt find the sarcastic smiley so roll eyes will have to do)
  7. If the 'police officers and the taxi driver' reached the conclusion they did (assuming a potential assault) because the person acting was a biker then discrimination exists (I know that doesn't make it actionable discrimination), but that wasn't my point.

If no discrimination existed then the police officers and the taxi driver would have made the same response if it was the biker, a granny on a push bike or a little kid.

IMO they took they actions they took because their perception was that a 'certain category of person' representing a higher risk was acting in a manner potentially threatening and not just because the action taken was A or B.

That *is* discriminatory.
  8. I think any bike rider who has to evade injury from a driver's stupidity has a moral right to give them an earful.

That said, and as a part time taxi driver, I think that putting a hand in the cab was over the top, and would appear threatening. All you need is the number on the ID card, not the card itself, and if you just get the cab's number the network would know who was in it at the time as each driver has to log on to the network via the cabsat system.
    A complaint about this idiot's driving can be made to the network and the Transport ministry if you give the plate number and the time/date if you want to take it further.
  9. It was a Melb taxi driver :LOL:
    Get over it and get used to it :rofl:
  10. A little bit of zen goes a long way in these situations: let it go, karma will take care of it, and as you discovered, escalating it massively escalates the potential for negative consequences on yourself.
  11. How on Earth can you come to that conclusion based on the evidence presented in the OP?

A person is seen with their hands through the window of a cab. Cabbies are known to be victims of assault on an almost daily basis. If you're a copper and you see this happening, you'd make the same assumption that these two did.

What is it with this victim mentality that is all pervasive in these circles.

And road rage (for that is what it was) is something that can rapidly spiral out of control. What if you decided to do that to the local drug dealer? Think he'd bother with handing over his particulars?
  12. Firstly we don't know that "the hands were through the window of the cab" the comment was "Bike rider points at taxi drivers identification card and requests it.", that sounds like the rider pointed at the ID card from outside the cab.

Secondly Taxi drivers are *obligated* by Taxi Directorate regulations to give their details in the event of an incident so that a complaint can be properly made. This Taxi driver clearly failed to meet his obligations under these regulations.

Thirdly cabs are run from this depot I work at and there hasn't been an assault for over 2 years (that's hardly every day). Maybe that's because our drivers actually get training in customer relations. And yes I've processed a number of complaint incident reports against drivers.

It's been my experience that many large company cab drivers don't exactly go by the book when ID details are requested.

As an example when I was a passenger from the airport I was subjected to dangerous driving by a cab driver and requested the drivers ID and was verbally abused and sworn at. A request for a receipt was also denied. A later contact with that company was totally pointless (and dismissed) because I did not have the driver ID.

It's a fact, there *are* bad drivers out there and one shouldn't automatically assume that the rider was at fault (as the Police did in this case).
  13. There's not much that can be done now - but i suggest that we need a "dob in a d1ckhead cabbie" campaign. Taxi number date and time is all
    you need.

or by post to
    Victorian Taxi Directorate
    PO Box 666 (and isn't that appropriate :twisted: )
    North Melbourne 3051.
  14. I agree with cejay in that we cannot assume that the cabbie and police acted in such a way because he was a rider. I am of the opinion that if it weren't a motorcycle rider, but a car driver walking out of his vehicle and approaching the taxi driver, the exact same response would've been seen by the police, and there is no evidence to think otherwise.

I do however agree that if it were 'a granny or a little kid' in the altercation instead of an adult male, the police may have acted differently, but that's not discrimination against riders.

The police didn't assume that the rider was at fault for the accident. The police assumed that the rider was at fault for 'road rage' because they saw no evidence of a collision, him off his motorcycle at the driver's window and his fist inside the cab in a back and forth motion.
  15. ZRX...

I take it from that that the hand was being yanked back and forth whilst the cabbie was in the car still. To anyone observing that from a distance, it would like a lot worse than it obviously was.

Aside from that, you clearly indicated this was discrimination. There is NOTHING in the OP that would indicate that the police would have reacted any differently if it had been a car driver having the argument.

As for assaults, there was one the other evening in Ashwood. Then there were the cabbies that have been seriously injured (some have died) in the last 12 months.
  16. We're all judged by what we are "perceived" to be doing...not actually what we are doing.
    That's what happened to you, unfortunately...
  17. That is possible but it still doesn't excuse the police (for misreading the situation) or the cab driver (for grabbing the arm and failing to supply ID when requested).

I would suggest to the OP that you make a complaint to the Taxi company and the Taxi Directorate (in writing) explaining the incident and requesting an investigation and you might consider speaking to a solicitor regarding the situation and how the Police mishandled it. There are complaints processes available there also.
  18. Regardless of the OP's intentions, that would have looked bad from the Bikers perspective to any onlookers. He was off his vehicle and appeared to be in an altercation with another vehicle driver. If I were to witness that, I would probably assume the same.

The poster and anyone else needs to be aware that it really doesn't matter who's at fault, it's who looks like they are at fault. I used to work in security and on a number of occassions I have had people yelling and screaming at me while i stood near the camera with my hands raised seemingly in submission while I returned the verbal barrage (I'm never went out of my way to start trouble but wasn't going to let some tosser have his word or fistful without me firing something back). Situations need to be handled according to how the legal system will see them. If you want to be treated like an innocent victim, act like it. Don't point fingers and hurl abuse loudly. A quiet, calm "come on then take a swing ya wanker" is just as effective at irritating a person and doesn't come with the hefty penalty. :wink:
  19. The rider in this case did not place any part of his body inside the cab, but only pointed towards the ID card. The driver reached outside his window and grabbed the gloved hand of this rider and yanked it towards the pillar of the car (ie in a throwing away motion without letting the glove go).

The police who standing no closer than 60 meters away, who apparently witnessed this in such detail, made an assumption of something they could never have actually seen because the bikers back was to them and blocking their view of the events. Their involvement and account of what they believe they saw is stuff fairy tales are made of. They would have had a better view if they're backs were turned.
  20. suck it in and move on
    it's not worth getting of your bike