Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

(CA) What Drivers licence would I need

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by TAX123, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. what if I was going to california this year, and wanted to buzz around on a bike or even drive a rented SUV, would my australian drivers/riders licence be ok, or as Ive seen an add on NR for an international drivers licence http://www.international-license.com/?gclid=CJznp4_kwZgCFRMUagodczQf1A

    but when i looked it up


    got to a US police site stating its a fake licence and not recognised, I know the NRMA also make a cardboard licence with different languages but they use english in the states so the only difference would be Jail not Gaol, and sidewalk not footpath etc
    has anyone done what I would like to do?

    the police site is http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2007/10/30/international-drivers-license-legit-or-scam/[/url]
  2. Provided you're there less than 3 months, an Australian drivers' license will be fine in California.
  3. ^^ What he said, visited California last year and drover without issue, just presented Aussie license at the rental place.
  4. Go to your local registry ie. RTA in NSW and they will issue you with an international drivers licence.

    Whether the place your'e going to accepts it or not is up to them but it is an official document rather than that money making scheme you linked to.
  5. If you have a 90 day visa or less your Aust license is all you need.
    I strongly suggest if this is your first time over there, you do some driving before throwing your leg over a bike. Its not much fun coming out of an intersection on the wrong side of the road or pulling out of a parking spot into oncoming traffic :shock: