Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

buyiny my first bike -- how do i get it registered?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by nambio, Jan 19, 2009.

1. Hello everyone,

I got my Ls last week and am looking at getting my first bike this week. I'm in Sydney.

The bike has been stored for a few years so its currently unregistered and without number plates. I am quite confused as to what I need to do to get it registered and ready to ride. All these different coloured slips. I went to the local garage and he said he didn't know what the different slips meant, and woudn't offer any help on any other topics.

I'm hoping you guys can help me out with this.. I really don't know where to begin. I think I need to get a pink slip (safety inspection?) but I don't know how I cna get the bike there legally if its not registered. Then I need some blue slip, same thing how do I get it there? Then I need to buy insrance (green slip?), then I can go to RTA and get it registered, pay more money, and get my plates (what is the time frame on this?).

Would appreciate the help! Thanks

PS any cost estimates would be appreciated
  2. hey mate.. take a breath lol

not sure the laws down south but if its anything like queensland its exaclty the same as getting a car registered..

saftey cert, CTP, bill of sale and then go and pay rego cost..

my understanding from a previous topic is that in NSW it is legal to ride your bike directly to a garage if ur holding ur completed registration certificate and your CTP insurance form.. but remember if it fails safety cert u cant ride it home..

if i am wrong plz correct me as i live in QLD not NSW.. you could always go to the nsw transport website and check out registration details