Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying Without RWC

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by heavyw8, Mar 31, 2005.

  1. Hey all

    If i purchase a bike that is registered but without a RWC, am i able to ride it immediately?

  2. I think so but to transfer the rego to your name you need the RWC. If the bike still has current rego then is ok to ride. The previous owner should send have done up transfer paperwork which says the date it was sold to you so any fines get sent to the new owner.
    Well that is the way I read it, though I have been known to be wrong on occassions.
  3. Thanks scumbag.

    makes sense to me :D
  4. Simple answer...no
    The bike must be sold with a current RWC or with the number plate handed in to Pricktoads.
    You then have to purchase a permit do ride the bike to and from the workshops that are doing YOUR RWC then on to Pricktoads for the change over and fees and return of the plate/replacement. But I too could be wrong again :p
  5. lodger, thats a wee bit off the mark fella :wink: a vehicle doesn't have to be sold with a current RWC unless its from a dealer. you have 14 days from the date of purchase to ride around as you please before handing in the transfer papers with a current RWC and transfer fee & stamp duty. further to that, you can also hand in the transfer papers and monies but not the RWC and they'll give you another 28 days from the day they send you a letter to get your bum in gear and get an RWC. all in all, you can have between 2 - 2.5 months total to get an RWC after buying.

    not that i recommend any of this, i know it due to needing to extend things after buying a bike with no roadie. just get one with a roadie, if they say "then i'll charge you an extra $500" then tell them where to go. if they want $500 for a roadie that costs $50 then theres some issues you dont wanna deal with there.....
  6. buying a bike without a RWC can get pricey if you later do your own RWC & find you need new tyres, brake pads, maybe disks, maybe the bike doesn't even have a compliance plate which would make it even more fun. Could even be stolen (handing the Transfer papers straight after the sale will show who you bought it off & action can be more timely).

    If you buy & have a RWC supplied, it's a no-fuss no-brainer worry-free riding from day one.
    I can't see an advantage in not getting a RWC.
  7. I don't know about Vic but in QLD apparently it is illegal to even advertise a vehicle without a current RWC. (a car dealer told me this) And if the vehicle is registered, a RWC MUST be supplied or the plates handed in.
  8. Private sales do not need to have a RWC although, IMHO, not to have one is stupid. I think bikes sold via a dealer needs to have a RWC attached to it.
  9. As others have pointed out it is possible to buy without a roadworthy, I've done it myself.

    If you are going to go down that path then I would get a REVS check done on the vehicle (pay the fee for a written one, but check on the phone first).

    This will ensure that the seller has clear title to the vehicle being sold.

    The second thing is get someone who _really_ knows what they are doing to go over the bike... not just the mate down the road who's been riding 2 years longer than you. If you don't have access to anyone like that then there are places that will do reports on bikes, like RACV do for cars (can't think of the names at the moment). Another option is to get the seller to take the bike to your local bike shop and get them to check it out for you (arrange this before you rock up!).

    If there are things that need fixing then think about if they are too expensive, too difficult etc. If they aren't then use the 'needs fixing list' to get the seller to knock the repair costs of the sale price.

    If they won't dicker and the bike needs repairs then add the cost of the repairs to the sale cost and ask yourself again... "is this bike a fair price?", if not walk away!

    Then after you buy it the first thing I would do is go to vic roads, hand the plates in and get a 30 day permit to ride an unregistered vehicle. Yes it's restricted to riding for repair work, but it's lots easier than not being able to ride it at all. Also since you have a clear REVS check (you did do that earlier remember ;-) and you've been to vic roads and filled in all the transfer papers the bike is now yours :)

    Then go and get those things on the fix it list _fixed_.

    Then and only then go and take it in for a roadworthy test.

    After all that have a
  10. This should be done regardless of having a RWC or not. Having a RWC means jack when it comes to ownership.
  11. check here to read vicroads info. I thought they used to have a more comprehensive buying selling guide, but can not find it.

    "Private Individuals

    If you are selling a registered vehicle, you must complete the seller portion of the Vehicle Registration Transfer Form, sign it and give the form to the buyer of the vehicle together with a current Certificate of Roadworthiness. "
  12. so in general how much xtra not including parts and dat to get the bike on road.......

    rego, rwc, stamp duty.....

    i heard from nsw its like bout 200-3000 rego, rwc=50-100

    stamp like 8% of what u paid???

    then u also got pink, blue and green slips....^^ they know how to rip off poor bikers
  13. rego + CTP is about 2-300.
    stamp i think is 3%