Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying Unrego'd Bike Interstate

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by conspiracytheorist, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Hey guys, looking into buying a bike from canberra (I'm in syd). However I believe the bike does not have rego, and hasn't for over 3 months.

    I was wondering what costs I'd be up for and what I have to do to get the bike to nsw and get it registered here. So anything like inspection costs, new plates, new 3rd party insurance (650v2, under 25), etc.

    Thanks for any help you can give me!


  2. depends on how old the bike is...
  3. Use the rego calculator on the My RTA site...

    it will probably be somewhere about 300-400 depending on how much you're paying for the bike, plus a blue slip inspection, plus green slip.
  4. Thanks for that. But I was wondering how I go about actually getting it registered in nsw - no rego in act so what do I have to do to legally ride it to nsw to register, etc.?

    Like would I need blue slip to get act rego (which I couldn't get because I'm not a resident) and then go to nsw and new blueslip.. or whats the go there? Thanks again for any info. I'll go check out the calculator.
  5.  Top
  6. Yup, I realise that.

    But what I want to know is how do I get it to NSW, its currently in canberra - so what I'm asking is what do I need to do so that I can legally ride it to sydney (at which point I'll do blueslip, transfer, insurance, etc.)?

  7. you trailer it, it is the only no-serious-fcking-around "legal" way.
    i'll trailer it for you, for beer :grin:
  8. bike transporter or ute. i used red line motor cycle transport. 0416 863 461. i bourght a un rego'd bike in sydney and i'm up in brisbane. picked the bike up and dellivered it. i did'nt even meet him. i just left a envelope with cash, he left envelope with bike keys and paper work.

    he's in Sydney most weeks. quite a few bike shops use him. i think it cost me around $300 but i'd assume it depends on hew much he has on board and i was in no hurry.
  9. Thanks for the advise guys. Is trailering the only option? I know there are forms are available to allow temporary use of unregistered vehicle (2 weeks or something), for $18. So would I be able to get one from act then ride it home? What else is involved with that?
  10. in QLD you can do this but you need insurance and it's only from said point A to said point B (testing station or repairer for test). then to Qld Transport (RTA). that kind of thing.

    i'd assume you'd have to do this in both ACT and NSW and get your paper work in order because every copper on the way will pull you and check it.

    thats if it is possible.
  11. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/rego_unregistered.html

  12. when i bought the 1kf from canberra, they offered the one day thing, an ACT permit, however, if you venture outside the ACT you are no longer covered by the interim rego.
    the other option is to have the inspection carried out in queanbeyan, have the bux ready, and head up to the rta there and pay your fee's. i have done this with a car-
    we did a recon mission on the saturday, making sure we wanted the car, and bargained with the pwner to get a blueslip, and pinkslip done midweek.
    we then returned the following saturday to pick it up, went to a QBE greenslip joint and purchased a greenslip, then (you can legally ride to the nearest rego joint) went out to QBN RTA (it is open saturdays until lunch time from memory) and payed the gazillions they require to change it over. hey presto, registered vehicle.
    only difference is, you do two trips.
  13. why sydney ? ride it to queanbeyan(NSW) and get the blue slip and rego sorted , then ride home :)

    if really worried get a local bike transporter to drop it at the blue slip place in queanbeyan or pay beer to a local

    bike rego

    rego about $100
    greenslip use the maa calculator , link on the rta website
    stampduty 3% of bike value $3 per $100 of the bike value $5K bike cost $150
    plate fee about $30-$40
    blue slip $20 odd
  14. yeah jared i told you ride it to queanbeyan, or i will do it for you if you haven't had a can of HTFU, take it to langes on yass road they will do the blue slip and you can get a green slip for qbe there as well then the rta station is just up the road from there
  15. Sweet, thanks for that all! Totally forgot qbn is NSW :rofl:

    Now that this is figured out I can continue with negotiations.
  16.  Top
  17. Definitely considering it, but there are various issues with buying it!

    And I'd love to come for a ride, but I'm restricted until late jan :evil:
  18. he won't be licensed to ride it, think if he will be riding it he will be getting the fark out of town pronto
  19. But...but...what will become of the phizog barrier? :(