Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying Software from Overseas?

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by V2, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Hi All

I need to buy Microsoft Office Pro and noticed its about half price from Amazons in the USA compared to locally. Anyone know if this is an easy purchase with no GST/Import Duty?

I've also noticed eBay has many copies availiable which are "legal" versions according to the sellers going for about $100, but seems too suspect to me?

2. If you have a valid educational email address, you can buy the full-to-the-brim version for just $75, right here in Oz :wink:

And Windows 7 for $50.....

3. I would be willing to bet that if you look up the software on Amazon, then scroll down the page to "Product Details", you will see a line that says:

Unfortunately, this is the case for most of the good gadgets, electronics and software that Amazon sells. I'm with hornet on this one - buy an education version. Actually, really I am with open-source: download OpenOffice, and bugger MS off. OpenOffice does everything, for free, legally. Better than MS in some instances, too.

4. I'm starting up my own business, so unfortunately need a legal commercial version. Otherwise $75 sounds a whole heap better than $800!

5.  Top
  6. You might want to check out Microsoft Action Pack. You have to sign up as a Microsoft Partner (easy enough).

https://partner.microsoft.com/40016455

7. I hate MS so might take a look at OpenOffice. Will this open and "save as" word and excel documents? I still need to send compatible files to others.

8. Yes. OO saves files in word and excel formats. For 99% of people, OO will do everything they need.

9. I don't know, personally, a greater Microsoft-hater than my son, but he says OO is rubbish....

They can't be that convinced if they had to resort to a click-through installation-by-stealth with Java updates.....

10. OO is great. Don't listen to the haters. As DD said, for 99% of people it will do everything required.

In any case, because it's a free product, you have got absolutely nothing to lose by downloading it and trying it out. So decide for yourself!

11. The main time you get problems with OO is if you're actually passing docs with edits backwards an forwards between MS and OO, and even then it you stay away from MS's lastest and greatest file format you're OK...

12. You can't deny that the .docx file format is a lot more compact than the old .doc format, though...