Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying sight unseen from a dealer

Discussion in 'Businesses and Service Providers' at netrider.net.au started by johnb, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Hi All,

This is my first post here, so I hope it is in the right place.

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand Honda VTR250 (about 2 - 5 years old), but as I'm in Hobart there are none on the market at all. My next option is to buy from a dealer in Melbourne but due to family committments it's hard for me to get there in person, so I'm thinking of buying one sight unseen, basically putting my trust in the dealer. Has anyone done this, or is it a bad idea? Maybe I can pay someone to do an inspection before I buy - are there services like that around?

Sorry for the clueless questions, but any help will be much appreciated.

John.

2. You may be able to get someone from around the area to inspect it for you, if you offer them a carton or something... Has worked for me in the past!

Mitch.

3. It depends a lot of the dealer. There are some I would not buy sight unseen from. Your best bet is to ask a NR member to have a look for you. If that checks out have it inspected.

Do you know its the bike and style of ride you're after?

A quick return trip on JetStar for a look around shouldn't break the bank either.

4. might be worth talking to Brett
    http://www.madbiker.com.au/en/
    in the past he had a bike finding service and at the least he can do an inspection for you and organise transport

5. Thanks for the suggestions.

2wheelsagain - I'm fairly new to bikes so I'm not 100% sure what bike suits me. I'm riding a scooter at the moment, but based on my reading as a first real bike the VTR seems like a good choice - I like the look of the them and a friend of mine has one and highly recommends it for commuting (which is what I'll be doing).

twistngo - thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

6. I like cartons, am in melbourne and buy lots of bikes... some of them not pieces of shit.

7. Thanks for the offer. I may be in touch if I can get myself organised.

8. you'd need to TRUST the dealer...... A LOT :LOL:

{I did it once with a car, worked out OK, too, because I really DID trust him}

9. That's the problem :( I don't even know any of the dealers in Melbourne (or anywhere else outside Hobart), let alone trust them. The same goes for asking someone to check it out for me. Maybe I should just be patient and wait till something comes up locally.