Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying second hand bike in Victoria

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by dmalcantara, Sep 6, 2010.

1. Hi guys,

Apart from RWC done and fill VICroads papers is there anything else to do?

Do I also need to bring the bike to VICroads to check or do I just need to lodge the signed papers with the RWC?

2. You should only need to do paperwork (to transfer the registration) and pay them however many hundreds of dollars they ask for (because its Vicroads :p).
  3. Yep, just paperwork and coin.

FYI - You're probably about to get reemed for dumping this in General Discussion and not using search, as this has been covered many many
    many times before.

Perhaps Smee can drop us the 'Posting and You' clip again? :D

Regardless.. there's some good advice here too: https://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=112899
  4. If it's currently registered, then yes, that's all you have to do.

If the rego has expired, but less than 3 months ago, you're ok too, but if it's expired by more than 3 months, you will need to book an appointment for an inspection.

They'll just check that the numbers match & you're right to go.
  5. Thank you guys
  6. Anytime I buy a second hand vehicle I usually make a point of checking the secondhand vehicles register on the vicroads website also (before purchase). You'll need the old reg, or vin number. You can also pay for a more thorough search but at a minimum I'd be checking to ensure there's no encumberance over it, or it hasn't been written off or stolen.

By the sounds of it you've already purchased though so the above may be moot, but at least the info's in here for future ref...

Hope you enjoy your purchase!! :biker:

7. I've done this check and it seems all fine.

I was initially concerned as it's a 2010 model with 4 months only, less the 200km on the clock.
  8. Do NOT forget to get a signed and dated receipt from the seller stating clearly that the payment is FULL price for exactly that bike (quote rego no. and VIN no.). Some Vicroads people hardly look at it but technically, without it they are not supposed to transfer it into your name.
    Not really worth trying to con them over the value to save a few dollars stamp duty, either.