Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying new tyres - What is a acceptable age?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by Booki, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Looking at some new tyre deals - there are a few around the $350 mark for front and rears.

But they are dated 32w2015. Do you think that is too old?

What is a acceptable age when buying new tyres for your bikes? 1 week? 1 month? 6 months? 1 year?

Considering most manufactures say tyres are good for 5 years - 6 years, if I am going to be buying tyres they are already in theory, down a year!

Whats a acceptable age for a "new" tyre?

2. Should be ok unless your planning to keep your tyre longer than 6 years?

3. ~1 year is normal for my store. Tyre still has to come to Australia by boat, go through various resellers and replace existing stock.

If the tyre was getting on 2-3 years I'd question it. At worst you'll get an extra 100km out of the tyre and loose a few % of grip you'd likely never use.

4. It also depends on how/where they were stored.

5. Mick has hit the nail on the head....... it depends, basically on the amount of sunlight they are exposed to.

Since few tyre dealers take their tyres out to sun-bathe, a year or two in nice cool shady storage ain't going to do any great amount of harm.