Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying new motorcycle trailer

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' at netrider.net.au started by azzie, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Hi All,

Tried looking around in the forums but couldn't find much info so thought I'd ask the question in a new thread.

I'm looking to buy a new motorcycle trailer to tow my bike with me between Sydney and Brisbane. I make this trip quite often and would like to have my bike with me at all times, hence the investment.

The best options I have come up with is a get a 7x4 box trailer and have a single bike channel put in down the middle with tie down points at the front and back. This would allow me to also use the trailer for other stuff like gardening and moving furniture etc when needed.

The only question I have is if the basic/light duty trailer with 3LF springs are sufficient to transport a bike for such long distance? Or should I invest in a medium duty with 4LF or even a heavy duty with 5LF? If anyone has any experience with any of the above, I would appreciate any input.

I found a vendor with a good explanation between the different trailers @ Holiday Trailers (a Sydney based company)
    Under their "Box Trailer" tab up the top.
    Sorry - Can't post links yet :(

I have a standard 2009 ZX-6R - so roughly 200KG

Thanks!

2. I think for 1 bike a box trailer with trailer mate in the centre or small amount of vertical channel up the front is the go, and 2 tie down points for the bars/forks and rear wheel. I wouldnt run any more channel than you need to as it affects the trailers functionality for other things, and the trailermate is removable, I guess a bit of channel could be bolt on only. For those regular distances I'd be keen to get some kind of debris deflector up front as well or your bike is going to get hammered. I have NFI about the amount of springs required, I'd have thought the correct rating tyre and pressure would be more significant, but as I said, NFI.

3. 200kg is trivial weight for a trailer. Light duty is fine.

4. http://www.easytrailer.com.au/gallery.html
    A mate has one of these set up for two trail bikes and he is happy.
    200kg is pretty light for a towed load, the max for a "no brakes" model in NSW is 750kg so suspension would be setup for something near that. Most of your bikes mass will be sitting on two lots of springs (bike and trailer) so the suspension requirements on the trailer are pretty low.

5. For the purpose of hauling just your bike, as light a duty trailer as you care to go would be the best solution. Reasons being;

Lighter, easier towing-less drag=lower hit to your fuel consumption,

Softer springs-trailer wont bounce and hammer as much, transferring less shock and vibration, not only to the bike, but also to the tow vehicle, making for a more comfortable ride for you. Also you can also afford to run slightly lower tyre pressures for the trailer, also helping to smooth things out.

6. 200kg + 250kg ttrailer + ??/gear/spare bike in future = maybe also check your vehicle's rated unbraked ttowing capacity.

7. I don't think i'll be putting anything else on there when I'm towing the bike, additionally, absolutely no plan of getting a spare bike.

So hopefully, I can go for the cheaper light duty option. I'll wait for some more feedback to see if anyone has had any issues in the past.

Also, I drive a Toyota FJ Cruiser which I think has a towing capacity of up to 2 tonnes.

Thanks for the info and suggestion about not having the channel on the trailer. Makes sense, if I want to do other stuff with the trailer. I've looked around and there is a mob on Ebay based in Sydney called "bogart.industries "
    They have a Wheel Chock that looks very sturdy with some good feedback @ $100. It's a much cheaper option to the branded KANEG trailer mate.

Now I just need to find some decent strap down ties :)

Azzie

8. Ha, missed it in your avatar. The wheel chock you mention looks ok, and i might not be able to see it, but the trailer mate has another thing going for it, the lower cradle is actually made up of 2 interlocking plates, offset, so the channel width narrows as the wheel rolls in and over it, providing more stability in the chock. The powdercoat job is sh1t however, and the locking mechanism in both needs work to secure the latch. Reminds me my favorite Kaneg labelled thing is my garage bin with a Kaneg sticker on it.

9. Azzie, there's plenty of guys around with trailers to hire for the weekend, etc. Ever thought of that? Would save the initial investment, upkeep, maintenance and registration - and you wouldn't have to store it.

10. I have a folding bike trailer. Towed the bike about 150 kilometres, no problem when you get used to it being there. Ratchet straps are the key and mounting points, they must be able to take the weight of the bike, don't throw them around the handlebars. I might want to sell it....

11. Hot dipped Gal,waste of money not going gal.Expect to have some issue finding good tie down points that miss the fairing.I tried on of those Canyon Dancer bar end straps.,waste of time.Look at a good quality trailer lock,trailer to car and bike to trailer.Heard about dozens of race teams loosing the lot when sleeping on big trips.Look at adding carabeens to the tie downs.Never liked the open hocks some have.Use a ramp as long as you can fit into the trailer.Stops the bike bottoming out halfway up the ramp/Been down the bike trailer verses box trailer thing.A good box trailer will last a life time and be a fantastic asset.Just don't tell anyone,mine gets loaned out more than I like.

12. I don't know about those ezytrailers for long distance, they are almost too light and tend to bounce around everywhere, the way they lock in is pretty crappy and from what I've seen they have play in the joint when towing, I've seen people make up plates to (semi) permanently lock then open. I think they run small diameter wheels too so your bearings would cop a workout for 14 hours at 100+ kph.

I really wanted one but since I do a few trips down to Canberra I decided to get a better trailer. Mine is a dirt bike trailer but I'm current modding it to be a flatbed for two superbikes with wheel chocks and tie down rails, plus a toolbox on the front.

I think a boxy will go fine with a wheel chock mounted in it.