Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying new bike questions

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Ohmigosh, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Got home from work a bit early today so went to the local Suzuki dealer and sat astride a GS500. Talked to one of the guys there for a while. He was helpful and had some advice regarding Naked vs Fairing-ed (?) and as my plan is to have the bike for a few years at least then I think the F model might be the way to go. Reasoning is that I will do a fair bit of weekend day trip riding and the improved wind protection will become a bonus in a year when I am able to do highway speeds. Buying new to avoid the pain of inheriting an older bike's problems - plus the pain of finding and collecting the second hand bike.

Had a look at the Hyosung as well but still felt drawn to the GS.

Dumb questions... (Actually they are really sensible questions as the only dumb ones are those not asked)

1. Typical order to delivery time for something like a GS is? (Should have asked the dealer - will do on Saturday)

2. Getting the bike from the dealer to home the first time. Ask a friend to ride it?

3. Suggestions on areas in Baulkham Hills, Sydney that have empy car parks that would be good to practise in?

4. Must-have accessories? Bike lock thingy? Sheepskin for combatting arse numbness? Cover? Others?

That'll do for now.

Thanks and...

Fun Ha!

2. 4. Yes, bike lock, and a "Reminder cable" as well

I wouldn't worry about the sheepskin, just HARDEN UP :rofl:

3. 1. If they have in stock which they should up to a week
    2. They can/will deliver to your home if you ask
    3. Sydneysiders will assist
    4. Insurance, decent gear from head to toe. You'll figure out what you need as you start riding.

4. sheepskin will give you more arse numbness... from all extra the gaysex you will be having.

5. 1. Typical order to delivery time for something like a GS is? (Should have asked the dealer - will do on Saturday) - Depends on what the dealer has in stock and what the distributor/manufacturer has in the warehouse, be patient

2. Getting the bike from the dealer to home the first time. Ask a friend to ride it? Ride it home yourself. You should have already ridden it before you bought it. No point spending $8000+ on something you don't like.

3. Suggestions on areas in Baulkham Hills, Sydney that have empy car parks that would be good to practise in?

4. Must-have accessories? Bike lock thingy? Sheepskin for combatting arse numbness? Cover? Others? sheepskin is good in summer and on long rides. If you can afford it buy an alarm/immobiliser. Ventura rack and bag (or similar) are a good idea for carrying stuff, or a tank bag if you only carry a small amount.

6. I got a new GS500F, great learner bike and I love it. When I got mine they had one in stock so it took them a day or so to do the registration etc so i think from purchase to pick up was about 2 days. So like the others have said, if its in stock you will have it in under a week.
    They should be able to deliver to you if you ask. I rode mine home but if the only experience you have is the learners course then delivery is a good idea as you can then practice in some quieter back streets before going out into traffic. In saying that though I agree with b12mick, try to score a test ride on one, they may even have one thats a few years old (trade-in) that they make let you test instead of a new one, after all the GS hasnt really changed at all so even an old one will give you a good indication of what the bike is like.
    As for accessories get a bike lock and reminder, ventura rack and bag or some other type of luggage system and some heated hand grips if you will be on it during the colder months. many will suggest you should just harden up instead of getting grips, I however finish work at 3am so they can keep their case of HTFU and I will keep my toasty grips :)

7. MY guess is you went to Actions at Parramatta ....?

Don't go back they SUCK ...do a search of "actions" here ,once you part with your cash ,your treated like SHIT.
    Go to westerns motorcycles at penrith ...good people and honest {if you can call any dealer honest} .
    The GS you sit on at the dealers is the one you will get ,they normally have about 6 or more on the show room floor ,it will take a day or two to get it registered and give it a final check over.
    They can deliver it to your door.

I brought my GS from them ,and my current bike also.
    Got the bike ,and ALL my gear jackets etc at 25% off ,a $350 venture rack throw in free and delivered free to my house.

My current bike was $1500 cheaper at Westerns then then what Actions wanted to charge me.

8. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Esp. this one ...

:shock:

And nope - Not Action in Parra. I went to Hills Motorcycles in Castle Hill. Smallish place but so far they have been very helpful. Prices are better than the advertised prices at Western. And that's before negotiation.

Good suggestion about the ventura rack.

Fun Ha!

9. Remember. If you DO get a disk lock, keep the key to it on you at all times.....

I'mStillEmbarrassedAboutThatOne.

10. *nods* :)

Nothing like that would ever happen to me - I've never locked myself out of home on a cold windy day in my boxers with no top on and the wife two hours away from coming home. Nope. Never happened. 8-[

Fun Ha!

11. One word.
    Brick.
    :LOL:

12. For what my advice is worth i wouldnt bother with the disk lock stuff:
    For a serious thief cracking one of them is like childs play,
    secondly if someone really want to nick your bike hey will jsut use a trailer and lift the thing away.
    thirdly all they do is add a extra key you might lose and worry about.

And the GF500f is an excellent bike, bought mine a few days ago and loving every moment of it.

13. Well I bought the GS500F. Delivery is this Friday evening. Went for the blue/white one as I think it is much more visible than the black/grey one.

This week can not go fast enough.

Can't wait for the feeling of "ooohhhhh shit" when I sit on it in my driveway for the first time, and then when I leave the driveway onto the street (quiet cul-de-sac). This feeling will be good as it will replace the "ooohhhhh shit" feeling I have now when I look at the Minister of Finance at home when she says she wants a new lounge setting... (My argument that we should hold off because we need to save up some money doesn't hold much water now lol. )

Only bummer is that I won't be anywhere near confident enough to make my way down to Homebush from Baulkham Hills for OzYoda's (and other kind mentors) learner session. Perhaps the next one...

Fun Ha!

14. Good on you and hope you enjoy your new bike. Happy & safe riding.

15. congrats on the bike mate, you will love it.

16. Congrats on the new bike.

The missus isn't interested in riding at all?

17. Congrats on the bike
    About the "harden up",,, screw that!! After going on a 6 day, 2700km ride I was thankful for my Air Hawk seat!!!

18. Cheers - And my wife has been a pillion before. I think she is fantasizing about us going on long rides out to country towns for coffee and craft fairs ](*,). Might give us another use for all that "leather" I suppose... 8-[ (J/K) But the real interest is little miss 12yo. She was taken for a 6 hour long blast by a good friend of mine on a big arse BMW 1200R (I think it was) and she LOVED it. I was told tonight in no uncertain terms that little miss was going to be the first person to sit on the bike when it is delivered! lol.

And Streetmaster - Screw that indeed!

Whatever makes life comfortable is a good thing I reckon. :)

Come on Friday! Dammit!!!

Fun Ha!

19. 1 more sleep Ohmigosh!!

20. I know I know...

I reckon some bastard turned the clocks down to sooooopa slooowwwwww......

I know - I'll get my helmet out and put it on to watch UFC tonight :D