Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying interstate?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by gofish, Mar 21, 2009.

1. I am looking at purchasing a bike & have noticed that some states are considerably cheaper than here (Vic). What are the associated costs/dramas with purchasing interstate? ie registration,freight,etc. Thanks for the help.

2. I'd say the number one biggie is not being able to inspect or ride the bike before purchase. That'd be my concern. If you are able to have a day or a weekend in Sydney, however, I'd train it up and then find what you want in a running condition then ride it back after getting an $18 unlicensed permit from the RTA. Probably also a mechanical inspection or something as well.

I don't think interstate rego changes are particularly huge, but be aware that not all states have to comply to exactly the same regulations - QLD is a good example with its 'single seat' policy of cheap rego (or something) for bikes converted to single-rider only status. Thus, a fair few bikes have weirdly chopped or otherwise modified seats, allowing no pillion.

Cheers - boingk
  3. According to another thread on this, it's a piece of p!ss these days.

My advice is, give the RTA a call and see what they have to say. We can say all we want here, but in the end, it's what the RTA requires that matters.
  4. The costs are the same as buying an unregistered bike.

You go buy the bike, ride it home on their rego, they cancel their rego, you get a blue-slip/roadworthy done, pay your CTP/TAC and go to the motor registry and tell them "I bought this interstate. Here are the old plates. Here's my roadworthy cert. Here's my proof of compulsory 3rd party insurance. I'd like new plates and 12 months rego, please."

Then they will tell you how many monies that will cost, and you can pay them to proceed.
  5. the only problem you might have is that the roadworthy laws interstae are alot more leanient than Vic. I bought a bike from sydney with a nsw roady but in Vic they wouldnt pass it due to exhaust, disc undersized and a few other things.

Didnt cost to much to get it roadworthy. regarding freight there are plenty of places that will freight your bike down to you.

Bring someone who knows bike to come up with you to check it out and test it before you buy it cause if something is wrong you cant just send it back..
  6. Be aware that South Australia doesn't have roadworthy tests on change of ownership so there are some vehicles (bikes and cars) that will take a lot of $ to fix to Victorian standards.

I've bought bikes from NSW (got done for two under thickness disks) and QLD (passed vic RWC ok) before.

It's doable, but not necessarily trouble free.
  7. I bought an Across from QLD. As mentioned before not being able to inspect the bike before is a bummer, but when the price is right, sometimes it is a risk you are willing to take (eBay has some alright protection policies if the item isn't as described.) Mine was like $400 delivery from Queensland to NSW (about 400kms). As mentioned above, once it was in the...*cough* better *cough* state just had to get a blue slip, CTP, then pay 100-ish bucks for rego (the qld rego had lapsed).

You could even get the seller(s) to chuck a video of the bike (to your specifications) up on youtube.
  8. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to handle payment if you're buying interstate on a service outside of ebay (bikesales.com.au, tradingpost.com.au, etc) that doesn't have a dedicated payment service?

I've been through a few difference scenarios but I can't seem to land on an arrangement that would make both the seller and the buyer happy...
  9. I bought my Buell from NSW (I am in Vic) fairly recently. It had full current NSW rego (current rego helps!) at the time and I had a friend who lived in Sydney look at it in person on my behalf to verify that it actually exists (Very, very important!) and to check condition. I spoke to the owner and his wife a number of times to verify everything and had them send me rego papers, receipts etc. via email. I ended up paying out their finance company (again after verifying!) with a bank cheque directly and the balance with a bank cheque made out to them which I handed over upon collection. I flew to Sydney and rode the bike home to Central Victoria but there are a number of transport companies you could go through at a cost.

In the last few days of rego I obtained a Vic roadworthy and booked in for rego with Vicroads. Because I had all the NSW paperwork and receipts plus a Vic RWC and the bike was a recent model (2004 XB12R) they did not even want to see the bike, I just handed over all the paperwork at Vicroads and paid the money, plate fee, rego, stamp duty etc. An unregistered or older bike would have needed to be presented at Vicroads.
  10. One of my friends bought a bike in NSW and brought it back to SA when he moved and got a decent chunk of change back when he transferred the rego over, so definitely something to think about!
  11. Can i ask how much this cost you Dave?

I am in the process of getting an xb12ss from another state
  12. I bought my R1 from north NSW about 900kms from where I live, The guy came across as a decent mature age guy ( like me :) ) he sent me pics all the details etc of the bike.

It is a 99 R1 with 13,000kms he was original owner and had all the original paperwork ( bill of sale etc )

I took a risk sight unseen on buying it but what I did was write a lengthy contract with CONDITIONS - about the bike never being in an accident etc etc and on receiving the bike should I find such issues the contract would be null and void due to not meeting conditions of sale and faxed it to him. He signed it sent it back with a fax of his license with address etc agreeing to the conditions and that should there be an issue the contract for purchase/sale would be terminated and both parties returned to a position they were in prior to the contract ( he gets the bike back and I get my money back )

The cost to transport it was $450 with bikenuts

However as I have a tertiary education in drafting legal contracts I would not suggest that everyone take this approach unless you are 150% sure of what you are doing.

The end result is that I bought a concourse condition 1999 R1 with not even a scratch or stone chip on it for a really good deal that we were both happy with. Everyone that sees the bike thinks it is brand new and that I must have just taken delivery of it from the showroom.
  13. Considering buy a bike interstate, flying in to check it out, getting it trucked interstate etc.

Any suggestions to cover every angle. Things to look out for?