Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying interstate VIC -> NSW: CTP? Insurance?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by blackjacket, Feb 22, 2009.

  1. Hi Guys,

    I'm very close to buying a bike in Melbourne, and riding or transporting it up to Sydney. The thing is, it has 10 months rego in VIC, so I was wondering if I would be able to ride it around VIC registered for that time before I registered it with the RTA? Is there an equivlant to NSW CTP with VIC rego that would cover me at home?

    Also, would insurers be willing to insure me full comprehensive in NSW with a VIC rego?

    Or do I pretty much have to convert to NSW rego right away?



    ps. Any recommended bike carriers? What sort of costs/timeframes?
  2. God save yourself time, money & hassle, stop in @ Albury on your way home & transfer it. Just line up your ctp 1st.
  3. law says you need to transfer title in 2 weeks.

    If you have a victorian address, you can transfer and then ride on vic plates in nsw. NSW law says you need to transfer to nsw registration within 3 months, although if you have a vic license, no-one will argue the toss with you. Riding a vic registered bike on a nsw license will get you a questioning the next time you get pulled over for a license check err, RBT.

    Simplest way is to buy with vic plates, cancel rego and get refund, get blue slip inspection done in nsw, register and go.

    Insurers don't care where the bike is registered - only where it is garaged.