Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying gear off the internet?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by I am the Stig..., Jul 27, 2007.

1. Just wanted to share my experience of buying some new gear recently.

Bought some protective gear on the t’internet recently from both UK and US sources – branded jacket, trousers and gloves. Happy to report that all the equipment is of good quality leather, double stiched, has CE approved armour in it and cost less than a third of what some of the bike shops were asking for similar products – even including end of financial year sales. Only took a week from order to receiving the items. As a result, I’ve ended up with full leathers for the cost of a cordura jacket, even with very high postage costs – to me it’s a no brainer really.

I was a bit “naughty†and tried on a few jackets in PS, but none were to my personal taste and leather would have blown most of the budget on the jacket alone. The jacket I bought wasn’t stocked there (or any of the other shops I looked in – Adelaide and Melbourne) and the sizing charts and guidelines making ordering the correct sizes a doddle.

Anyone else bought gear off the internet? Good/Bad experience?

Just to add before people start talking about the need to support your local shop – Helmet was bought locally for reasons of fit, quality and road regs. I do want to support the local shops, but why are the mark-ups so high on all the items? It’s an expensive hobby/passion to pursue, especially when starting up as a noob like – and people shouldn’t have to forfeit proper safety equipment for the sake of $’s ("dress for the slide, not the ride" has been written here numerous times) – but economics often dictate circumstances…. Also, with the advent of the internet, you can source that special jacket/glove which the local shop has sold out of/doesn’t stock.