Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

SA Buying fullsize bike with R-date

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by bullseye81, Jul 22, 2011.

  1. Is it legal to purchase & keep registered a non-LAMS bike on an R-date license? Intention isnt to ride.

    There are a few junkers in rideable condition in a scrap yard which I'm considering using as an electric conversion.
  2. you can buy, register and own anything without the correct license, the license only matters when it's in use on public roads

    ohhh hangon, you're subject to SAPOL. you may well be skrood
  3. Hello Bullseye - welcome to the party.
  4. Yes, and tell us more about the electric conversion.
  5. If you aren't riding it there is no need to keep it registered.

    You can have it unregistered for quite a few years before they would require it to go over the pits for re-registration.
  6. I would just keep it unregistered. My bike was out of rego and sitting in the shed for about 2 years. Got the letters to send in my plates etc. Never did it cause i was lazy. Then about 6 months ago i decided i wanted to get it running again, went onto ezyreg and i could re-register online with no worries at all. Much cheaper option than to keep registering