Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying from the United States of America - old bikes

Discussion in 'Cruisers' started by Luton, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Hey

I have been looking at old Harley prices - mostly 1959 - 1965 HD panheads. They aren't too bad in the scheme of things particularly at current AUD/USD exchange rates.

Has anyone had experience in buying a foreign bike and bringing it over here?

Some concerns I have are:
    - how to know the bike is kosher? Does anyone have experience with reputable vendors/agents in the States?
    - parts and service here (Sydney) - is it not practical given that there were very few of these bikes brought to Australia at the time? Do you need to be able to import your own parts and do your own maintenance?
    - Customs. What duties if any to pay on landing?
    - RTA. What mods or tests to get registered here?
    - Clubs. Any bike clubs for this period that I can join and get involved with?

I have a 2008 FXDC for the commute and runs where reliability/performance are the go. I'd like an older bike for the look (I reckon these are amongst the best looking bikes ever) and for the experience of getting on the tools and upgrading my knowledge around the guts of bikes (right now this knowledge is basic at best).

Cheers in advance