Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Buying from NSW, bringing to VIC

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by HANDSY, Feb 9, 2011.

  1. hey guys and girls,

    ive found a bike i want but its in NSW and i live in VIC.
    ive just spent the last few hours searching here and the web for info and i cant quite get all the answers im looking for. im sure many here have done it so hopefully someone can help me out.

    its got rego left, i plan on flying up and riding back. than what?
    do i have to cancel the NSW registration, get a rwc and re-rego it at vicroads?
    its a 2008 so are there any special inspections or something required or just a rwc and the check at a vicroads center? (what is that check anyway)
    will i have to pay transfer fees, stamp duty, etc to both NSW and VIC?

  2. I recently purchased a bike from SA and it had approx 6 months of rego left.

    I rode it for the 6 months and then got a RWC and VicRoads didnt even want to inspect it. They said as long as it was on their system they would transfer the rego without an inspection.

    Still had to pay the Stamp duty and a years rego and for new Plate.

    I could have transfered earlier, you are supposed to do it within a few weeks, but the refund for the rego would go to the original owner. So I just rode it carefully so I did not get any fines etc, as they also would have gone to the original owner.

  3. I just did the same but vic to nsw

    You will need to do your rwc - then when that is okay - take your bill of sale papers ( it will be the rego papers filled out with you stated as the new buyer your address etc and signed by the previous owner ) to your transport department along with the nsw registration plate

    they will transfer it into vic registration give you a new plate - take the old plate and charge you stamp duty and rego for victoria

    they will then advise road transport in nsw the bike has been transfered
  4. IF the nsw rego is in your name, you shouldnt have to pay stamp duty.
    If its registered in someone elses name or unregistered and hasnt been previously registered in your name, you will get stitched by stamp duty.