Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

buying an unregistered bike from interstate

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by hph, Nov 30, 2007.

  1. I've been offered an unreg 1989 rgv250 from a mate in Vic. Its in good condition cosmetically, fairings, tires etc. Its been sitting idle for the past few yrs and does not start. It cranks over but refuses to fire even after replacing the battery. The front disc also needs to be replaced.

    In order to get it registered in NSW what steps will I have to take ?

    I'm also not mechanically minded, so will have to get any work done by a mechanic. I was offered to buy it for $1k. Is it worth my while for to get it for this price having to factor in transportation, parts and labour ?
  2. I think you'd want to know for sure what the issue was before going into that project.

    You would require a blue slip, which isn't too hard for a bike, as long as its stock standard and you have all the receipts from purchase.

    Blue slip costs about $50 or less. Then you get rego as normal, so its not extra $$$ to get something rego'd that is out of rego, or from another state, it turns into $$$ when they pull you up for little things that you would have gotten away with when trying to grab a pink slip.
  3. Hey mate, I bought an unrego'd bike from canberra a few weeks ago and had to get it back to sydney. What you'll want to do is get 'interum rego', you can get it either for 1 or 7 days, costs about $20-30 - it covers you for rego and ctp, etc. so if you can get it running, you can ride it back to your state. Also, you could get a cover note from an insurance company for property damage, then just not go through with it after the trip is up (doesn't cost anything for a cover note).

    Good luck.
  4. You know they are not learner legal in NSW?

    Front disc $250-$500

    Engine could be as simple as battery and spark plugs, or could need
    complete rebuild (more $$$ than the bike will ever be worth). RGVs
    blow their engines up regularly.

    If you aren't mechanical enough to know the difference, then
    steer clear.
  5. rgv250

    I have an unrestricted licence so no problem with the learner legal bit.

    Sounds like I need to get a lot more info for this bike. Only ever seen it in his pics and I'm flying back to Sydney this afternoon.