Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying an RGV

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Ziggi, May 19, 2005.

1. was just wondering what people can tell me about RGV's, im wanting to buy a 98 one with about 24000k's. could anyone please tell me what i should look for so that i dont buy a lemon, and what kind of maintnance and money is needed for them. thanks

2. RGV yep, love it them to bits but I am bias.
    Are you mechanically minded?

Has the bike been raced etc?

goto www.rgv250.co.uk you will find RGV angels there.

I 've love my Aprilia RS250 (RGV250 engine), it gives me the biggest smile every sunday morning when I take her out for a fang.

Makes going to work on monday worth while to pay for the petrol and I always look forward to a weekend fang.

Read this review.

3. This really depends on your real riding skill level. Are you on your L's etc. I know a few people who has sold their GSXR600, and CBR600s for RS250/RGV250s.

Oh if you are planning to ride the RGV to work, don't get one. You'll get the shits with it pretty quickly. You'll be wasting the sticky tyres and polluting the air.

If you want to learn how to ride the twisties at 10/10ths then get one as its an MotoGP race bike with blinkers.

This bike will teach you excellent cornering skills and power control. This bike has great power to weight ratio for a 250cc.

Maintenence it easy, you take care of it and it will take care of you.

At 24k km, your looking at a top end rebuild, about $400.00 in parts and about 4hours of your weekend and your ready to go.

The only possible problem is stuff/worn powervalves but this is an easy fi,if you fix it straight away else its $$$$.
    Most of these links are for the Aprilia RS250 but you get the idea.

4. Love the RGV.

Yea i bought a '98 RGV about 2 years ago for $5800 with just on 10,000kms clocked up. It hasn't given me major dramas as yet and i've got 48,000kms on the odometer.
    I've loved ripping up the tarmac around Mt Glorious, Nebo and the likes.
    I ride with a bunch of mates who all ride larger capacity bikes and find that i can stay with the lead group without riding beyond my skill level until we hit the straights then they're off :mad:
    Look for service history, colour of smoke, smokey grey is ok, blue tinge generally means pistons rings are stuffed which then needs a rebuild.
  5. I love my RGV, although its fair smashed atm. good bike imho.
    Fast for a 250, handles like a dream, Get it if u wanna get ur knee on the deck.
    Easy to maintain, rebuild every 10000ks (thats what i do). Give it a good fang. Sythetic oil.

Problems. Powervalve drop. U just have to clean them out often(500km) easy job. Check the pins. Rebuilds are pretty easy. Kick starter can drive u up the wall. pretty expensive to run. spark plugs foul

Make sure
    it idles nicely when warm.
    revs cleanly upto redline in all gears.
    has run sythetic oil.
  6. Go to the RGV website, read up as much as you can about them and go from there.

As well as the usual used bike checks, here are some additional checks.

When inspecting and RGV, you can check if it is an ex-race bike by looking at the gearbox,radiator and brake bolts by seeing if they have a small hole through the head or have lock wire through them.

Get proof of service history, either done by a store, or proof that the person bought the parts.

Ask what sort of 2stroke oil was used. Try to make sure it is a synthetic oil.

Same with the gear box oil. Needs to have run good quality stuff.

If/when you purchase it, be prepared to spend atleast $400 on a top end rebuild and any other things you may find along the way. I personally would do a brake fluid flush, and replace the PV screws with hex heads. Change the spark plugs from BR9's to BR8's. These are hotter plugs and would suit road riding conditions better.

You do realise how fuel inefficient these are too?

Be prepared to work on the bike a lot yourself rather than spending a lot of money on a workshop that doesn't know what they are doing, there aren't many good 2 stroke tuners arounds anymore.