Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying an older or newer make of the same bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by Allan from Hornsby, Mar 15, 2016.

1. #1 Allan from Hornsby, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Hi everyone,

I sold my bike about 3 months ago to go travelling. I still have 2 months of travel ahead of me, but I am always thinking about riding when I get home!

I'm looking at the CB400, but I find I much prefer the look of the older models ( in particular I've been looking at a 1998 ).

What do you need to consider when choosing an older bike over a newer bike? I expect that it might require a considerably more amount of maintenance and may be less responsive and reliable on the road, am I right?

Thanks, Allan

2. It all depends, I've only owned older bikes with some being older than me!
    I've had comments that my ugly GSX750F and zzr's are some of the most reliable bikes on the bike rank I commute to despite being one of the oldest, highest k and technologically primitive.
    My biggest show stopper related to older bikes was broken choke cable which required half a can of 'start ya barstard' to get chugging and a vacuum tube that came loose.

The trick is to go over the bike fully when you get it re-grease/torque every bolt, replace rubbers, re-pack/replace bearing's, go over the electrical system cleaning all the grounds and contacts ontop of your standard maintenance.
    Once the frame is solid try to tear the carb down and get it balanced as-well as tuned. Carbs are the biggest gremlin on older bikes and can be pricks if their not running correctly turning a good bike into a shitheap.

Older bikes may be heavier, have less technology in them however it can certainly works to their advantage in terms of diagnostic and logically trying to fix them.
    Things they don't have which love to fail: Injectors, Throttle position sensors, fuel pump, mass airflow sensors, oxygen sensors, delicate ECU's and computers, batteries (can't roll start EFI bikes below a certain voltage)
    • Informative Informative x 2