Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying an ex-demo...

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by kols_kebabs, May 30, 2007.

1. Opinions?

I'm fantasising about a Sachs roadster 650. They're not a popular bike, several local shops I've visited have ex-demos, which they'd be keen to offload. I wanted one so badly when they were first introduced years ago for $11'000 which I thought was cheap, and now there are many around new for $7-8000.

Around a 1000km's up, the one I was specifically looking at has a scratch on the tail end, and obviously after being out in the sun for weeks will always lack that new bike finish.

I'm wondering what sort of discounts are normal on an ex-demo? Are they good value?

I suppose a demo would be subjected to a much harsher running in process than your average new motorcycle

Incidentally I've also read from internet sources that the Sachs motorcycle company (Oldest in the world, founded in 1886), has recently gone bankrupt, so I was thinking that could be a good negotiating point on price...
  2. Interesting choice. Good luck with it.
  3. Having the parent company go bankrupt should definately drive prices down - both new and used (certainly happened with MG). So one downside is that resale value is also going to plummet, though obviously this isn't really a problem if you plan on keeping it a while. Always liked the Sachs myself, though always thought a "cafe racer" version probably would have sold better here.
  4. Haven't Sachs been revived again? At least to sell the Madass 50 and 125, I thought.
  5. There is a lot of debate about how to run in an engine, some methods even say it needs to be given a bit so the rings wear in properly under full pressure.

Ive known people to buy ex-demo stuff and its no worse then the brand new gear.
  6. like this one that I took a picture of at the bike show a couple of years ago?

Nice looking bikes.
  7. You talking about the one that Central Coast Motorcycles has?? I almost took it for a run last time I was up there. Gotta admit they look the shizzle.

I think it's Johnny O who knows all about Sachs bikes, maybe send him a PM...

I could live with a Madass 125 as well. Drool.
  8. I have actually ridden on of those at the 'Big on Bikes' show in Perth a few years back. I liked it, it had stupid torque for a 650cc road bike, and would make a great commuter/tourer I think. I didn't get the chance to test the handling as I only got to ride it around the car-park demo area, but it was certainly a very comfortable riding position. It's a Suzuki DR650 engine which is pretty bullet-proof, and which also explains all that lovely torque. I seem to also recall an 800cc V-Twin version based on the VX800 donk...
  9. You're right
    Don't think that one was ever sold here though - shame, looks like a nice bike (apart from the hideous colour scheme).

Edit: This pic does it more justice
  11. The 800 wasn't supposed to be all that good I heard. The VX800 engine is nothing to get excited about.

The 650 on the other hand- 50hp in a 154kg frame is serious sporting single performance, almost as good as some of the euro motards. It would be faster than the 800.
  12. If you're just after pure numbers to try and impress your mates with then no, the VX engine is heavy and doesn't produce a lot of power. On the other hand it's also supposedly incredibly reliable and runs forever - I've never seen a bad review of the VX.
    The 650 might have more performance but for a cheap, reliable commuter the 800 would have definately been a better option. Unfortunately too many people buy bikes based on numbers alone which is probably why the 800 (and even the original VX800) were never a huge success.