Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a used bike privately

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by sash, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Hi, I'm about to buy a bike privately soon, what are the things that I will need to do once I get the bike? To transfer the rego into my name, will I need to have a green/pink slip? Or will I need that after I have transferred the rego?

2. Hi Nooby NOOB!!! :D

You will need the green slip ONLY and a RWC to transfer the rego into your name. If the bike is unregistered - the RTA will want to inspect it before they grant you the new plates and you will have to book an appointment a few days in advance. If it is already registered - you can take the forms in without the bike at anytime during business hours :LOL:

3. sash,
    because you are talking about green / pink slips i am guessing you are in NSW .
    there isnt any location on your name etc .
    Maybe one of the dydney siders can help answer this one as its differant here in Victoria .
    If you still need help PM me I will give you a email address to ask , and they will be able to help you out .

welcome to the site .

anyway what kind of bike ?

4. one bit of advice: ALWAYS GET A RWC WITH IT!!!

i cant stress enough how important this is. if your discs are even marginally undersized, your up for around $200 a disc at the very least. when discs only come a couple of mm oversize, this is a VERY common problem. and thats only one thing they can knock back, theres all sorts of little things that can cost $$$ to get fixed. if you know a place that will pass an unroadworthy bike then your all clear, but you better know your stuff or your putting yourself at risk.

cant help you with the rest if your in NSW, but this is one of the more important details with getting a bike :wink:

5. for all the particulars, you may want to check out http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/carbuyers_handbook.pdf . I realise it is for cars, but the same process would apply for bikes. Lots of good info in there regarding what you should do when buying privately, what info you should gather before you buy, and what you need to do after you buy.

6. Thanks alot guys, yes I am from Sydney, and I've a fair idea of what to do now :)