Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a used bike. Maintenance concerns?

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by HotelWhisky, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Hey Everyone, advice needed.

My partner is looking at buying a Honda CBR250R from a lady who got it when she got her L's (almost 3 years ago), bought it new, and then basically never rode it. So I get the impression it has been stuck in a garage for 3 years doing nothing. It has also not been serviced in that time because "I never got it up to the service interval".

From what I have picked up learning about maintenance over the last year, I am worried about flat spots on the tyres, issues with the oil and other fluids, and all the lines and the tank if it was left full of fuel.

Are these legitimate concerns? Would it be safe to ride it to a mechanic to get it serviced? I can look for the tyres and any leaks, but I am by no means a spanner-jockey.

Cheers for the advice.
  2. Fuel lines will be fine, tank should also be rust free on inside if its a late CBR250R, not an oldie. Tyres, well if they had air in them highly unlikely to have flat spots, and rubber lasts alot longer than 3 years especially if indoors. Oil and filter, Brake fluid and coolant and look at chain for rust/tight spots. Bargain hard, do the small service and ride on.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. I'd truck it to a mechanic and get it serviced. As well as what you said if she hasn't been starting it there won't be much oil in the higher parts of the engine.
  4. How will the mechanic get oil into the higher part of the heads?

Op should kick the bike over for a bit and let the oil drain up hill. Get a discount for the damage too. Two birds.
  5. I have bought bikes that stood idle for more years and ended up with a bargain. If exterior checks out and it starts and runs well, you might only have a few fluid related checks left to do. If you are contemplating riding it to the mechanic, it must be registered. Take it for a test drive, if it runs well, clutch , gearbox and brakes operate as normal I would make an offer! With buying privately secondhand there is always an element of risk; but that is also where the bargains can be found.
  6. 3 years isn't a lot. Replace all the fluids. Charge the battery and away you go.

Be aware that tyres get harder as they get older and may be getting that way after 3 years, particularly if the tyres were first put on a year before sale. It's also more critical on lighter bikes.

the other question is was it a new cbr250r or a grey import? Your post implies it's new, but it's worth asking.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Grey imports are more than thre years old. Always. They might have no kms on them but they aee always older than three.

Its the single.
  8. Half the time they quote the import date as the build date, but I'm guessing it's the single too. I was just doing the idiot check.
  9. Just start it up. If it rides nice happy days
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. New tires, new fuel, New fluids, maybe new battery, lube chain and lube the clutch and throttle cables.
    Personally I'd just trailer it to a mechanic, save purchasing a permit however it would run fine given you flush the fuel tank and pump up the tires.

Rode a bike that hadn't been started for 9 years in comparison last year, no problems.
  11. The fuel wont' be to flash after sitting for three years so don't be surprised if it doesn't start so that may need to be drained and replaced. Battery will be toast and will need a new one unless it's been on a battery tender.
    If it is indeed only three year old I would only worry about all the other fluids when it's due for it's next service. The tyres will be fine and are good for at least 6 years so just put some air into them along with lubing the chain and cables and you should be good to go.
    Or as others have suggested, try starting it and taking it for a ride. If it doesn't start, you have a fantastic bargaining tool.

12. Nothing to worry about. Clean the battery terminals, pump up the tyres, start her up and ride away.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Thanks for the advice on this everyone. We ended up buying the bike. Owner said they had been starting it regularly to ensure it worked fine, I test rode it and rode it home. After getting it home it was having issues starting, after speaking to my mechanic we figured it was old fuel and so after towing it and getting all the fluids drained and replaced she runs just fine. Gonna try to tighten up the clutch lines as they seem to have stretched a bit.

Very happy rider with a great bike.

• Like Like x 1