Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a New Puppy

Discussion in 'The Pub' at netrider.net.au started by ralph, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Does anyone know much about puppies and what i should be looking for.

I want to get a purebreed staffordshire bull terrier - it took a while, but i have convinced my gf to get one - she wanted a stupid stupid toy dog, like a moodle or something similar - stoked i convinced her the staffy was the way to go.

I know bugger all about breeding dogs. I really want to get a great pup that has a great temperament.

I have been googling a little bit and found some breeders, but don't know what i should be looking for. If anyone knows much about this stuff, would love to here from you.

2. Go to the RSPCA. Pound puppies are every bit as loving as bred ones. Cheaper too. And they come desexed/vaccinated. And you can sill get a pure breed if thats what you're after.

Theres enough unwanted animals kicking around already. Give one of them the home they deserve.

3. yeah +1.

mongrels are not as "pretty" but hybrid vigour avoids some breed related problems.

Careful with staffys too - I know that some kennels charge premiums to hold staffys because they are too temperamental to be kept with other animals and they need their own enclosure. If a staffy decides that it does not like another dog, then bye bye other dog. I like the breed myself, but staffys do have quirks that need to be considered.

Also as they are quite muscular training is very important - a mate had a staffy which, although was just being friendly, was a menace to any visitor to that house and nobody would get away without blood being drawn from an over-excited pooch.

I guess training goes for any dog. Also, consider your lifestyle when you get a dog. I'd love a cattle X but as I live in a flat and work long hours it would be cruel to keep one because they need heaps of attention and lots of runs to keep them happy.

And if you get one from the RSPCA, you are saving a dog from the incinerator.

4. +2

Staffy's are great dogs but be wary if you have other pets or young kids as they will assert themselves.

If you are not going to show the dog or want to breed them then dont bother paying the $$$$$$$ for a piece of paper. The RSPCA quite often gets staffys in but because they are not the cute fluffy type have trouble finding homes for them.

OH and for the record there is a gorgeous brindle male staffy desperate for a home right now! Here is the link

http://www.adoptapet.com.au/animal/animalDetails.asp?animalid=99624&result=19&statusID=3

5. You do realise (don't you?), that by winning this argument, you have doomed yourself...

Everything that this dog does wrong (and there will be plenty, as with with any puppy) from the day it arrives, will be your fault.

Good luck with that :wink:

6. He's the male in the relationship, everything is always his fault anyway.

7. However, if the dog licks its balls, he can say it's her fault cause she taught it that... :grin:

+1 to the RSPCA stuff

8. MAte be VERY wary of getting a staffy pup. If your Mrs wants a cute little cuddly dog, she wont be impressed at all with a staffy. Even the cute quiet ones are crazy. I bought mine about 10 months ago.

She was the runt of the little and the quiet little one that sat in the corner. Thats why i picked her.

Within 2 months my place was destroyed. Inside and out. They chew EVERYTHING. So far ive lost 2 x leather SHIFT motorcycle jackets, 1 Shoei XR1000 helmet, 2 x pairs A* GP Pro gloves, a $4000 remote control, have a gaping hold the size of a basketball in my couch, a whole shit load of audio/video cables from behind the TV, 6 x pairs of Sennheiser CX300 headphones, 2 x pairs of pioneer DJ headphones and i cant even remember how many pairs of shoes and items of clothing. Thats just the expenseive stuff. FArk me, just two days ago she managed to chew her own collar off! Although, I was moreso impressed with her rather than angry at that last one. lol

Staffys need attention 100% of the time. They HATE being left alone. They need training and lots and lots of disipline. Mine has started to settle down a bit now but still, if i leave anything of value in the house while im at work, i lose it. Leave a door open during the day, you have one destroyed room to deal with when you get home. They hate being left outside although alot of people do it. If you do leave her outside, secure your backyard tight. Mine still scales 10ft fences. They are escape artists. My little girl has gotten out 15 times to date. Ive been lucky shes been picked up everytime and returned.

Would i go through all this again? Hell yeah. Theyre awesome dogs mate. Once they settle down. Theyre loyal, strong, generally obedient (with enough training) very smart and unbelievably good with kids. My little girl can run a muck at the park and go head to head with the biggest dogs there but get her around a small child, she becomes a cuddle little teddy bear.

All im saying is be very aware of what youre in for in the first 12 months of getting a staffy pup. As i said, mine had the quietest temperment when i got her but they very quickly develop a personality of which you have NO control over! A few people on NR know exactly how frustrated ive been with mine over the last 10 months and how many times Ive wanted to get rid of her.

Good luck dude.

9. Ever thought about a second dog for a companion, bam bam? It can settle them down. Unfortunately, in our household, when everyone is at work, the dogs can get lonely; We find between dogs, the remaining dog gets lonely and then bored; chewing ensues, as with other owners of a dog club we used to be members of. Don't know about staffys, can't say I'm a big fan of the breed, but a terrier with it's chest crushed and ripped open will do that to you. :wink:

10. Thought about a second dog but really, im struggling with one at the moment. Female Staffys can be very territorial too. So yeah, not really an option for me at the moment.

I do have to be careful with my girl around small dogs. Even dogs her own size. She isnt aggressive or anything but she does play rough. Around dobermans or rotties or similar, she is awesome. Gives as good as she gets and will play all day. But with smaller dogs, she is just too rough for them and they get narky with her which makes her turn a bit aggressive.

To be honest, she has never once bared her teeth to me or anyone and she is the only staffy ive ever know to love cats. I take her to my parents house and for some reason she is super gentle with the cats. Think she may have been swiped a few times! lol. But she will happily curl up next to them and go to sleep with them. Weird dog.

11. Get a Shepard :)

I got mine from the RSPCA, and he's the best. He grew up on a horse farm (ranch? stables?) so whenever we bring out his food he prances like a horse.

Its god damned hilarious.

12. I was walking along with my mate after city to surf, and cause my mate wore his spedos in the run he got a bit of ball chafage and was quite uncomfortable.

We walked past this dog doing a bit of tongue grooming in the testicular region, and my mate says "Geez, I wish I could do that"

So I go "you should probably pat him first"

BA-ZING!

13. You wan't a staffy, she wants a toy dog, you can get both
    our mutts are a American staffy and my wifes poodle, they live together in the yard without ever having a problem and the staffy has been great with other dogs and the kids always, only plays rough with me when i hype her up, desexing early may lead to a calmer temperament also
    3828783479_5ecc1cdc8c.
    Also never underestimate a remote control tank's importance in puppy training
    3829582540_9b1e10f2e5.
    Made my dogs the good dogs they are today

14. I currently have an 11 week old staffy pup.
    I am, and always have been a dog person, and advise you to be ABSOLUTELY sure you want one of these. They are fantastic dogs, but if you fcuk up just a little bit with their initial training, nothing short of a house brick to the head will stop them doing something they want to do.
    An owner makes a dog. They don't come programmed.

15. +1
    love alsations.
    my family had them as i was growing up
    vague memories as a wee kid of eating icecream in the backyard, our german shephard Sancho taking my whole hand in his mouth, and spitting it out sans icecream.

we used to watch the strawberries grow
    apparently, he did too. we'd watch them get bigger, and bigger, and then just as we'd think about plucking them they'd just disappear overnight

16. He's a tervuren, but close enough :)

Such a cheeky little bugger. He's so gentle. you can hold food above his head and he will rear up and take it with the greatest of precision. Quite a contrast to how clumsy he is every other time of the day.

17. Shepherds are beautiful, caring, intelligent dogs. I have one and love her dearly.
    The downsides with them are that they drop hair everywhere, all the time and they also are prone to hip displacia.

I ummed and ahhed about getting a second dog to keep her company whilst I was at work. I put it off for ages and then finally bit the bullet and went to the RSPCA and rescued a Cairn Terrier (scotty-type dog). Wish I'd done it years ago. The shepherd is much less whiney than she used to be and they get along so well together. It's not really any extra work having two compared to one dog. One extra tin of food at dinner time and that's about all the extra work there is.
    If anything, there's less work with two, because they amuse each other so I don't feel as bad like I'm neglecting them if I'm busy doing work or miss the occasional walk.

18. Always get your dogs in multiples of two. They need company, they are a pack animal and need companions. So if you are going to leave the dog by itself then you're life and the dogs lives will be better with two.

However, do not get two puppies at the same time. They will do nothing but teach each other bad habits. Get an older dog first and set the ground rules for the house and then a puppy. The puppy will learn from the older dog by example.