Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a New Helmet... to Bluetooth or not to Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by heat_vision, Jun 8, 2008.

1. I have had my current full-face AGV helmet for about 8 years now and it's starting to show it's age. I've started shopping around for a replacement and one thing I'd like is for my new helmet to Bluetooth capable. I want to use Bluetooth for GPS navigation, taking calls, rider-to-pillion communication and maybe music on longer trips.

I've done a fair few hours of research on the net (including previous posts on this forum) and it seems that my options when it comes to full-face Bluetooth helmets that are available in Australia are the BMW System V or the Nolan N84 with the additional N-Com bluetooth kit. Both of them seem to be a bit pricey though. Can anyone suggest any alternatives?

For the pillion the best option seems to be the BlueAnt Interphone. From the reviews that I've read it's got much better sound quality than the Scala Rider unit. However, I'm worried that the Interphone will only work for other Interphone units for rider-to-pillion communication. Does anyone know if this is true? If so, is my best bet to just buy a non-Bluetooth helmet and use 2 Interphones? The main thing I don't like about the Interphone unit is that it is mono only. One of the reviews that I read said that a stereo version is planned for release but I haven't been able to find it. Does anyone know if it is available anywhere?
  2. The interphones have been discussed before - do a search.

AFAIK they only work together, not with other brands.
  3. Nolans

Im going to chime in my 2 cents here.
    I spent months researching bluetooth. I specifically wanted a helmet with which I could connect my TomTom Rider2 and have in-helmet voice coms. In the end I settled on the Nolan 102 and the Nolan Bluetooth. I was actually originally planning to buy a second helmet so the GF and I could chat. I made sure that my phone was on the Nolan supported list etc.

Ever since I bought it the Nolan has not been able to consistently maintain the connection. I set it working and connected and head off down the road and 10 minutes later the tomtom is showing the helmet as disconnected. If I turn every thing off, wait ten minutes and set off again, I get another 10ish minutes before a disconnect. If I decide not to reset everything, randomly it will reconnect.

I have not had this problem with the headset that comes with the TomTom so its definitely the Nolan components. I rang Nolan and got told push this bit in till it clicks, when I informed them that I had already done that and it was properly installed, they shrugged their shoulders (I could hear them shrugging over the phone) and basically weren't going to help me any further.

Basically I will never purchase gear off Nolan ever again. As far as I'm concerned I wasted 1000$ and should have bought a Shoei or an Arai and got a quality helmet. Sod Bluetooth.
  4. Bluetooth smootooth. Why the hell would you want to talk to your girlfriend while you're riding? That's why you GO riding!