Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a new bike interstate (to bring into NSW)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by shake, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Hi all - would like to seek some opinions please on a question I'm facing.

I'm considering buying a new bike from an interstate dealer, but wanted to first make sure I know what I'm getting myself into, in terms of paperwork.

This is what I envisage to be the steps involved:
    1. Buy bike from interstate dealer, unregistered. (Dealer will deliver to my door.)

2. Pay relevant fees to RTA (aka RMS) to have bike registered. For a bike less than 300cc, these fees total $336 according to the RTA's online rego calculator, consisting of (copy-and-paste):
    - Registration Fee Rego Cars & Wagons <= 2 Ton Ann
    - Motor Vehicle Tax W/tax ( 0- 2504) Yr Motor Cycle Pri Gen
    - Original Yellow - Tran Fee
    - Stamp Duty

Have I missed anything else? In particular, I'm assuming that new bikes don't require a blue slip inspection, is this correct?

I've done a search on this forum and online elsewhere, but can't seem to find specific details. Would appreciate any pointers here... and thanks in advance.
  2. I don't know but I'd imagine it will still have to have a blue slip, pretty cheap anyway.
  3. CTP Insurance - "Green Slip"
    Call them about the Blue Slip. I recon 1st up you might need it since it includes an identity check. After that you might not need the "Pink Slip" for re-registration each year for however long that lasts from new.
    RMS can also require that they inspect the Bike.
  4. Wouldn't it be easier to buy a new one in your home state and let the dealer register it for you. Being new they probably do the whole lot online in the shop.
  5. I believe buying from interstate, you'll need a blue slip.
    Make sure you have the 'Bill of Sale'.

Go see the RMS first, and clear things up first.

Not sure what type of bike you are purchasing; however, just be aware that Vic does have a Recreation Rego scheme, so some bikes can be rego'ed this way in Vic but not in NSW. (Mainly pertains to MX/Enduro type bikes)
  6. Why?? You are in NSW where you would have the biggest selection of new and used bike dealers in the country I would imagine. Whats your reasoning for buying interstate may I ask?
  7. Thanks very much for all the replies.

Yes, how could I forget that? Based on a quick search online, this should add $120-$150 to the cost, and brings the total to $450-$500.

To answer some of the questions - I'm looking for my first bike as I'm on my learner's, and hoping to get the KTM 200 Duke. Not exactly an exotic bike, but I'm finding that the dealers in my local area are refusing to budge on price. And I mean zero discounting. I have had cheaper quotes from interstate dealers, but want to make sure I'm doing my sums correctly.

As it is, it's looking like it's not worth the trouble. I'll probably save a few hundred, but have to deal with a lot more hassle.

For what it's worth - I'm quite disappointed at the attitude of the KTM dealers that I've dealt with. Being a new-ish brand to road bikes in Australia, I would have thought they'd have a keen focus on sales growth to get awareness up. But instead, all I get for the most part is a 'take it or leave it' attitude.

Perhaps it's a reflection of the price point that I'm shopping in. I don't really know as I'm new to the game.

Back on topic - thanks for your input!
  8. $120 to $150 is more than reasonable for CTP. Where did you get your quote from?
  9. I just went to the online calculator on the NSW MAA website - unfortunately I can't post URLs yet, but it's basically prices(dot)maa(dot)nsw(dot)gov(dot)au
  10. @shake, getting a discount can be tricky. You need to show them you are ready to buy. When you are ready to actually make the purchase go in and tell them today is the day and this is my offer (5-10 % is not uncommon). If they know a sale is on the line things can go your way more often than not.
    If you aren't happy, make a reasonable offer and walk, wait for the call with a counter offer, you decide if a deal goes down.
  11. I would do some research on the RRP of the bike, then negotiate on any extras... ie riding gear or a bit of bling for the new bike to be.
    I believe that most shop make bugger all on the New bike sale, and it's the follow up servicing and gear where they make the cash.
    You may find that there will be deals on bikes at the end of the financial year.
    Having said all that; my mate tried to buy a new bike in Albury (NSW) but decided to buy it in Vic, where it was over a thousand dollars cheaper. (the dealer in Albury, had bump the RRP way up)
    KTM = parts are the killer, just tried to buy a brake rebuild kit for one, $63 delivered direct from KTM, $140 in the shop here :banghead:
  12. #12 shake, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
    Good advice Mcsenna - but that's exactly what I tried to do with a couple of dealers, with no success unfortunately. With each of them, I made sure to state upfront that I was happy to put a deposit down immediately if the price was acceptable to me.

One salesman, presumably having forgotten that I had already spoken to him earlier in the week when I was still undecided, even gave me a big show about doing a once-off deal for me with his manager, and proceeded to quote me exactly the same price as he had already given me the last time!

I was very unimpressed.

I had read this before as well - so in my negotiations I also made sure to let them know that I would be returning to have my bike serviced by them (which is true). Still no movement on price. When I asked about throwing in extras or some gear - the response was "I'll make sure the guys upstairs take care of you, probably 10% discount at least".

Well forgive me for being just a bit cynical, but I simply don't have any faith in his claim. I'd probably still be better off buying my gear elsewhere.

Just a separate (but related question) - if I do end up buying a bike from interstate, does anyone know/foresee of any problems in getting warranty and service work done by a different dealer (closer to me)?

To my knowledge, this should technically be all right - but I've been told several times by dealer staff that they always "look kindly upon customers who have actually bought the bike from us".

So I'm afraid that if I bring in a bike that I've bought elsewhere for any warranty work, that they'll be difficult in fixing any issues just because they weren't the selling dealer.

Is my concern warranted in this regard?
  13. #13 Mcsenna, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014
    Certainly looks like your giving your best shot, they are either topped up with sales or their margins are so slim they are stuck.
    Have you thought about buying near new rather than new, there are a lot of low k bikes on the market at the moment.

Shouldn't be an issue, they get paid for warranty work.
  14. Don't worry about any warranty issues. If the dealer is giving you any grief in that matter, just shoot an email to the manufacturer detailing your grievance and they will sort them out.

I recently settled a deal with a dealer in VIC for the same reason. The local dealer wouldn't budge on price and thought he was too precious. I said, well, you're not the only one selling bikes in the country, even if they are in country-town Canberra! I saved a couple of grands which can go towards a personalised number plate! In your face local dealer! lol
  15. That is an option I suppose - but at the moment I would prefer to get the 2013 model, just because it comes with ABS. There are a few second hand examples on the market of previous year models, but without ABS.

Wow, that sounds pretty good. I guess it must depend on the specific bike though - because in my case I haven't really been able to get much out of interstate dealers either. Though having said that, I've only tried a couple, maybe should contact a few more...
  16. This is exactly what happened to me. No budge in price what so ever. And they also said they'd look after me with accessories but weren't specific. They wouldn't give me a deal price on the bike with accessories, the bike and accessories were seperate.

I walked away and haven't heard from them since :(
  17. Apologies in advance for hijacking this thread, I just didn't want to start a new one given essentially the very similar theme.

I saw a bike of my dreams in Melbourne and would like to buy it to bring it to Sydney.
    My parameters are - I will get my full licence in November
    The bike is registered in Vic until November.

My plan is to buy it, bring it over via traspotation to Sydney, and store it in storage until such time I am licenced to ride it.

Questions are -

1. what is involved with respect to transfering the registration?
    2.if the rego has to be cancelled - does it need to be registered if I keep it in storage?

Are there any other issues to consider?

They don't come up for sale very often and for some reason significantly more expensie in Sydney for some reason when they do.

Many thanks in advance
  18. Transferring rego is not going to happen. They cancel your interstate rego and start new. You can cancel the old and pocket the cash.
    No need to be registered if it's in storage just means you can't ride it on the road.
    Being in storage will mean that you have a great opportunity to get some maintenance work done.

Just make sure you have all the paperwork needed as it could be difficult chasing some up a while down the track
  19. Cheers Vertigo. So it gets registered in Vic in my name first and when I cancel the registration, I get a refund? Or the seller needs to cancel Vic registration.

I found some transportation companies that move bikes interstate for $300 incl insurance
  20. I experienced exactly what your asking, except the storage bit.
    I bought the bike from a guy in Vic and he gave me the rego papers and a BILL OF SALE (important). I had to get blue slip (id the bike basically) and green slip and took all the paperwork to the RMS. They cancelled the Vic rego and started a new NSW rego with new plates. The RMS also take the Vic plates and give you a cancellation receipt that allows you to get a refund but you have to send it to Vicroads to get the cash, RMS wont pay it. Bit of a dick around but in my case well worth it. Hope this helps.