Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a new bike - haggle tips?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by WillSV, Dec 19, 2008.

1. So I am heading out to buy a bike tomorrow. Will be buying new - don't suggest used I am sick to death of messing around with trying to get a used bike so many dishonest people out there wasting my time - no longer worth the effort to save a buck.

So yeh I am 100% buying new. I have never bought a new motorcycle before. Is haggling on price normal as it is for cars? How much should I aim to get them to take off the sticker price if that is possible? What are some good negotiating tactics to get dealers to knock down the price? I am paying in cash, no finance if that means anything.

Thanks for your help.

2. hey mate,

bikes have a RRP which does not include dealer delivery charges and on road costs. for example, if said bike is $12,990, it will end up being like $14,000 by the time you add on road costs and dealer charges. try and get them to giv eit to you for RRP and make them pay the dealer delivery and on rego n shit. other thing you can do is try and get some gear thrown in with the deal aswell. aside from that they don't have much room to move on new bikes

3. the salesman do it for a living and have probably seem anything you want to try.
    Do your homework. Try a few dealers. Um and ahh a lot and take your time.

Did I say to do your homework so you know what similar bikes are around and what they are worth.[/b]

4. The best tip is to be prepared to WALK AWAY.
    If you feel you arent getting what you want or simply arent happy with the deal or salesman, just walk away.
    Ive seen thousands of dollars of regret because people cant walk away.

5. Pretty generic ideas that I have used (though when buying cars)

Know what your willing to pay and what you want to pay.
    Don't pay more then you can - if theres something that you need that will increase the price beyond what you can afford, walk away. Alot of the time they will work something out.

Don't tell them the exact max you want to spend, because thats what they will work up to.

Know what else you need to buy at time i.e gear, stands, locks etc. All that can be priced up online, easily.

Do NOT get suckered into getting finance through them.

Remember your price range.

Don't fall in-love with the first bike you see / test ride and don't let them rush you. It's their job to make you think your life isn't complete without what ever your looking at at the time.

And again as mentioned before a few times - Don't be afraid to say no and walk away.

End rant

6. Generally the dealers will throw in a really good deal on gear rather than heavily discount the bike price, although go in with a reasonable amount under RRP. Hunt around though. Oh and generally these days dealers don't care if you have cash rather than finance for a new bike. Some dealers get commission on organising finance for you so they get a little extra on the bike purchase. Same applies to cars.

7. My late Great Uncle used to be a legendary haggler.

Firstly, he always used to say to remember that it's YOUR money; the salesman's jobs is to help you spend it quickly and irrationally.

If he felt that he was being pushed and pressured too much by the salesman he used to sometimes say something along the lines of "Hang on a minute mate, who's paying for this item? You?!" When the salesman replied "Errr, you are" he's then say "that's right, it's my money, so why don't you just shut up for a minute and let me decide what I'm going to do with it?!"

Secondly, once you're sure that you want the item, barter hard with the cash. My great uncle used to say that people do strange and peculiar things at the sight of cash being flicked in front of them. He used to nominate a price he was prepared to pay, and then hound the salesman. E.g. "I'll give you $12k for it. I've got the cash right here and I'll take it now? What, you won't accept that. Fine, someone's going to get my business today, if it's not you then it will be someone else."

Good luck!

Cheers,

Weasel
    "Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul...."

8. As mentioned above, u wont get much out of haggling on a new bike as they are set prices from the manufacture and not the dealer, if u had a trade in, different story, prob get top dollar for trade in for a new bike.

What u looking at buying??

9. Yep, Be prepared to walk away... there is always other dealerships..

If you are looking to save the max amount of cash then you need to play the dealerships against eachother.

After the dealerships won't budge any further on the price then start talking equipment ect...

10. The "be prepared to walk away" is the same for every major purchase. The trick is to be able to do it, which is harder than it seems.

How do you do it? You have to allow yourself to fall in love with a few bikes, not just one. If you are in love with one the dealer has you by the balls.

11. When haggling, and you get the guy to knock the price down, there will be a point at which he won't go any lower. Remember, the guy relies on the commission for income, plus any retainer that he may get. So, he's like us. He likes to earn as much as he can.

When you do the "walk away" thing and he lets you, you know that you've hit his lowest price.

12. remember, you can haggle, biatch, moan, screw them down, WALK AWAY , and go do it at another dealership.

Once everyones right royally pissed off at you at the dealerships have all hit their rock bottom, hit up the cheapest for some gear.

Remember, they aren't your mates. Money talks. No matter how pissed off at you they get, they will still take your money at the end of the day.

You can still walk back in there, and buy the bike, no matter how "indignant" you got how hard hard you "stormed out" the place.

Once you settle down and BUY it, however, become their biatch.
    Planning on a new jacket, gloves, bike lock? Leave it a week between purhcases, so they get to know your face and know your a good customre . Dont buy it all at once.

By a few extra bits of gear. Nothing like having a dealer in your pocket, they will hook you up with free bits and pieces over the years/services (if your not a DIY bloke).

13. Next few days you should get a great deal :cool:

I just normally ask them "what's your best price?" - then ask about how much discount on gear. Works OK for me.

Also depends on how popular the bike you want it is - if it is in short supply, then not much discount. An overstocked model will have much more

14. It also depends upon the brand of the bike, it's been my experience that Ducati dealers and Harley Davidson dealers are much less likely to move on price (and possibly other less common brands too) than are japanese bike dealers.

That's probably due to the number of competing dealers in an area.

Another factor is that newly introduced models are unlikely to be significantly discounted (say the new Ducati 696) whereas older run out models are (say the Honda 900 Hornet).

15. Lol and i'm sure his wife loved his stingyness :LOL: :p

16. You may have already purchased by now but;

It doesn't have to be the cheapest purchase price thats important, but what provides you with the best value. Eg not being mechanically gifted myself and having reasonable gear anyway, I always push for as many of the sheduled services I can get (although always insist that it includes all fluids etc that are scheduled to be replaced).

Think about what you can add on that would make it better for you particularly if likely to get the bike serviced through them. It can pay to develop a good relationship from day one.

17. Yeah fair comment that value thing. If you screw the dealer to their last cent (and lets be honest here, no one likes been screwed down) and then something goes wrong with the bike, they are unlikely to bend over backwards to help, even if its a warrenty claim, you will always be pushed to the back of the que.

Pay a fair amount, that you are happy with. If you aren't happy tell them. I bought a car recently, and I feel I could have got it $1500 cheaper through one dealer than the other. But they put the pressure on me to sign a contract before they would give me their best price. I told them I don't like pressure like that. If they changed their mind they had my number and I walked out. And she even had really big norks.

18. thanks for the tips much needed skill:)

19. if you havent bought yet, I would suggest (being a haggler myself and also having worked in sales) that if you are in a union you call the union shopper first and see what sort of price they can give you cause those guys are nuts when it comes to getting a bargain. Then start working the dealers.

If you arent in a union, start haggling between dealers, ask one for their best price, then take that price to another one, go back and forwards until they say enough, then haggle for some gear.

Don't pay dealer delivery (its a bullshit thing). Remember you are in charge of the sale and professional salespeople are very very good at getting you to part with your cash.