Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Buying a 'kit' for a newbie

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by jezaa, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Hi lads (and gals),

I'm about to go for my L's in a few weeks and I've been in the process of hunting for gear. I'm looking to spend about $2,000 on the gear alone but I need some advice from all you veterans on what is suitable.

Just to give you a run down, I'm a full-time uni student but I also work in finance which means I'm in a suit a good 3 days a week. I've been looking at the Dainese 2 piece suits (M5 and Laguna Seca) and I was wondering if these suits give better protection than buying say, a normal Dainese leather jacket and bike jeans/bike leathers? Do any of you who commute to work everyday find it too hot being in leather the whole time? The reason why I ask is because I don't want to stink up the office in the mornings!

How practical are leather race suits? I don't mind looking like a tool wearing a leather suit, on a VTR250/RS125 as long as I'm relatively safer. I'm not on a big budget constraint and I rather spend more than have to spend a few months nursing broken bones (or dead).

For those who have gone down both paths, what do you see as being the pro's and con's of wearing racing suits daily vs. traditional gear (jacket + jeans/pants)?

Thanks in advance guys! Your answers will be much appreciated.

2. If it is mainly for commuting then I would say look at textiles not leather. Leather is not going to provide any more impact protection than textile, it is the armour in them that provides that. Leather will last longer in a slide than textile but on a commute it is unlikely that if you were involved in an accident you would be going fast enough to slide very far anyway.

I mainly commute and have Draggins/Hornee jeans, some waterproof touring pants if it is raining and a Dririder Climate Control 2 jacket for all weathers (outer mesh, zip-in waterproof layer, zip-in thermal layer), plus summer and winter gloves and waterproof boots and shorter "summer" boots.

I would only consider getting leathers if I was frequently going on long spirited rides or going to the track.

3. i don't reckon you will find many of us commute in 2 piece leathers, most i would assume would wear textiles.....i know if it cold i do, if it's warmer draggins (or riding jeans) and jacket, back protector, gloves, boots and helmet.

I reckon for commuting you should be able to get good gear for no more then about 1200 (if you don't want a flashly painted helmets, if you do maybe add another 500+).

Welcome to the 2 wheeled world
  4. +1
    I'm with stewy ..

I wear a textile jacket, low-cut icon accelerant boots & draggin jeans.
    Not to mention helmet & gloves of course :LOL:

Oh and welcome aboard
  5. Appreciate that Adam. Unfortunately I will be on the freeway to and from uni, albeit not for very long. I think i may just buy as much protection as I can first and slowly strip back when I get better at riding. I'm looking at these suits now and I know i'll look like a tool and that they're probably not very comfortable but I think it will give me piece of mind if, as you said, they offer better slide protection.

In terms of denims, I was thinking of going for the kevlar leggings. Have anyone here had any experience with them?
  6. Thanks guys! I'm not quite onboard yet, need to pass this L's test :)
  7. Well in the end it is your choice but remember as a learner you are legally restricted to 80kph anyway, even at 100kph most good textile gear will provide enough protection. Chances are on a busy freeway you will hit something and stop before you slide too far anyway! :p

You should probably get along to a bike gear store and try some options on. Leathers are going to be way too hot for commuting in summer though.

8. He's in Melb. None of this stupid 80km/h limit on a 100/110km fwy's that these Sydney folk have to protect them form themselves..... :rofl:

Textiles are fine for commuting on the fwy's.

If you do go the full leather option, just be careful that you don't, after a few months, think to yourself "can't be bothered with all this leather shit" and start riding around in normal jeans and a t-shirt.

It happens to a lot of people, me included, but at least now you can't really see the scars ;)

We are coming into summer, I'd go textiles for summer and then in Autumn, I'd consider leather
  9. I'd give another vote to the textiles. I was looking at leathers or textiles a while back and found that good quality textiles give sufficient abrasion protection for legal road speeds. I wouldn't want to wear them on a track, but given that most tracks insist on you wearing leather that is probably not an issue. But even for freeway speeds, if you go for the high-end textiles you should be fine. BMW make some textiles that they claim offer as much protection as leather - but you pay BMW prices for them!

Another option that you should seriously consider is finding another route to Uni or work that is 80 zone instead of freeway. If you are that concerned, then I'd start out on the slower roads and work your way up to the freeway commute.

I was looking at stats (from a thread here somewhere) that found that broken limbs were as likely with full protective gear as without it when you are involved in a serious crash. It saves you from all of the abrasive injuries, but won't save you from a broken leg or arm if you fall the wrong way. Go for something with CE approved armour, and if you are going for kevlar jeans then think about getting some strap-on knee armour that you can wear underneath and take off when you get to Uni or work.
  10. Thanks for all the advice guys!

I think after all the positive feedback for textiles I'll definitely need to have a look into it. I was under the illusion that I would fully kit out with leathers and armor and as much extra protection as possible for the first few months but I didn't really think it would be that uncomfortable.

I might still go for the leather pants with knee protection and buy some kevlar leggings. I'm not too fond of the kevlar biker jeans I've seen in stores to be honest and online evidence seems to suggest that its they're not all made equally.

Anyone have any suggestions on what textile jackets are the best? I don't really mind spending more for quality gear, especially as I have a funny feeling motorcycling is something I'll be doing for a very long time to come...